Chapter 10

~Nichole~

Lexi stood on the edge of the roof, and I saw that she was holding something. I quickly grabbed my binoculars and looked at it. It was a dead-man's switch. "Boss, we got a problem."

"What is it Nicki?"

"Lexi has a dead-man's switch with her, and she's on the roof of the school."

"We'll be there in two minutes, what you need to focus on is getting up there and talking her down."

"Craig, are you sure?"

"Positively," I pushed through the doors. I knocked on one of the class's doors and told them to knock on everyone else's door on this floor and tell them to get out of the building. I did the same with the other three floors and then went up to the roof.

The first thing I noticed when I got up there is that Lexi looked completely calm.

"Lexi..." I said calmly and not too loudly.

"I was wondering when you would get here," she was wondering when I would get here? Creepy, "I need your help." Her voice was calm and little on edge at the same time.

"You need my help, with what?"

"The bomb," Lexi said, obviously upset by this situation.

"Lexi, we can definitely help you with the bomb, you just have to tell us where it is."

"That's the thing; I don't know where it is."

"What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said, I don't know where the bomb is. After you saw me crossing the river, Jason found me. I wasn't thinking about the possibility that he could escape from the police. So he found me, gagged me and tossed me in his trunk." That's when I noticed the rope burns on her wrists and that she was in a completely different outfit than she was in earlier.

"He shoved the switch into my hand and pressed my thumb onto it, he said that if I let go of it, hundreds of people would die. But then he said that if I didn't, my brother would be killed."

"Brother?" The only brother I was aware of is the one that her biological parents gave birth to two years before Lexi was born.

"Don't act like you don't know, because I do, I remember everything. I've always remembered, but no one else knew exactly what happened that day."

"How could you ever remember that?" I was completely lost on this situation.

Lexi used her free hand to place her pointer finger on her temple, "I have this thing where I can remember anything I've ever seen, heard, tasted or felt. And there's no way to forget it. It's called superior autobiographical memory."

"But then why didn't you tell anybody?"

"Because, everyone would've treated me differently, and would've made a big deal over it. They never would accept me as a normal person. I'd be alien, but now that I think of it, I guess I'd rather be alien then kidnapped."

I see where she's coming from but I still didn't get why she was up here on the roof. "Why are you on the roof though?"

Her back stiffened, "I was never going to jump off, I was just trying to get away from Jason, he wouldn't risk getting caught again by running into a school."

"Smart."

"Sure, I just brought a lot more attention than this needed and now my face will be all over the news and I will be known as the girl who tried to commit suicide."

I sighed, "Well, it would eventually die down, and if you explain yourself that shouldn't happen."

Something seemed to catch Lexi's eye when her head swiveled to one angle quickly. She jumped to her feet and before I knew it I heard a shot and I was on the ground.

I turned my head to see Lexi clutching at her should.

"Lexi, you were shot!"

"No, duh," I started to get up but she put her hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down.

"Just stay down or they'll shoot again."

"Who will?"

"I don't know."

I heard Craig through my war piece, shouting orders to get the block secured.

Lexi pressed the deadman's switch into my hand and told me not to let go after carefully transferring my thumb to where her's was.

My gun had gotten flung a few feet out of my reach, and I didn't know what to do.

Lexi pencil rolled towards my gun, grabbed it, and checked to make sure it was loaded.

"Lexi! What are you doing?!"

She just ignored my question and said, "I'll be right back," with that she opened up a secret hatch in the roof, and climbed down.

"Just stay down!" she shouted to me.

A few minutes later, I heard four gun shots, some screaming, then I heard Lexi climb back up, struggling with her hurt shoulder and arm.

Once she was up, she told me, "You don't have to stay down any more."

I got up, helped Lexi, and called for a medic, just as Lexi passed out in my arms.

(Later that day)

As I was packing up at headquarters, we got an update from the hospital, "Lexi'a vitals are stable, and is now allowed to see visitors," Craig told me.

I smiled, "That's good, do you think it would be ok if I went to see her?"

"Nicki, she saved your life, of course it would be ok!"

I nodded my head, put my stuff in my locker, and walked out to my car. As I got in, I noticed an envelope, addressed to Lexi.

As I picked it up, I decided to read it, then decide what to do.

I opened up the sealed letter, and pulled out what was inside. it read:

Dear Lexi,

If you are wondering why I put this in Nichole's car, it's because I figured it be the best way to get this to you since she looked like she cared about you getting hurt....

There was more but I couldn't keep reading. I hopped out of the car, and ran back into the building. I sprinted up the stairs, and found Craig.

He looked shocked to see me and before he could say anything I held out the envelope to him, "Read it," I told him.

"Where did you find this?" He asked.

"On the roof of my car. What should we do?"

"We aren't going to do anything, but you are going to go to see Lexi. I will take care of this."

I wanted to argue but I knew it was probably best that way, "Ok boss. Whatever you say."