15• 𝒈𝒍𝒐𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒈𝒊𝒓𝒍

saturday afternoon
•scottie•

scottie sat on her kitchen counter, yet another mug of coffee placed into her hand by fran, who was sipping one herself.

"what if i'm not a fine hostess?" scottie asked, her intricately shaped brows furrowing with worry.

"oh, scotts. you're already a fine hostess. you take care of me, your old classmates, sav..."

"yes, while you're speaking truthfully, i haven't ever had strangers in my house before. they've gotta be exhausted, and i hope oh so much, that i have the facilities to make 'em feel at home."

"scotts, you're overthhinkin' again. you do that often. calm down." fran rested her hand on scottie's, trying her best to calm her down.

just then, their attention was turned to the front doors by the sound of tires on gravel. once they heard the tires stop, more followed behind quickly.

scottie jumped off the counter, her bare feet smacking the old hardwoods. her brown maxi skirt flowed around her legs, the floral embroidery sweeping at her ankles as she swiftly made her way to meet her guests. she brushed off her white blouse, straightening out the white lace trim.

fran followed not far behind, making sure scottie knew she had her back.

they made their way to the front doors, and scottie threw the large doors open, the intense summer heat rushing into the foyer.

she saw a red El Camino first, and Volkwagen vans following the beautiful vehicle. the door of the first van slid open, along with the driver's door of the El Camino.

she saw many young, exhausted, and sweaty looking children in wrinkly clothes pile out of the vans. she immediately noticed none of them had shoes. but, sure enough, loads of shoes were being tossed out of the vans by a saviour child.

"man oh man," fran whispered to scottie after a low whistle, "that's alotta pups! many hungry gobs to feed."

scottie noticed this herself. after the kids had their shoes put on, they stood quietly and patiently, waiting at the vans for their parents.

as time went on, their parents unloaded the colorful luggage, while scottie and fran went out to greet their strangers.

scottie gathered that there was a total of six adults, all parents. three women, three men. each set of parents had at least two or more children, one family having eight children.

in all, there were sixteen kids. neither her nor fran wanted to think about how they all fit in two vans and a small car.

once the families had gotten inside, the kids immediately found their ways to the sofas. they threw themselves on the old, battered couches so violently, dust billowed up from the old floral fabric.

the mothers and fathers stood proudly, looking at the exhausted kids. since most of them dozed off, their parents picked up their luggage, and brought it upstairs.

scottie could tell what kids belonged to what adults.

"my my, those poor pups are exhausted, how do yall get rid of all that energy?" fran asked the youngest mother, mary, while she helped her unpack her twins' things.