9• 𝒂𝒅𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒔 𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒔

𝐰𝐞𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

scottie looked over to her clock, her weary eyes irritated by the bright lamp light. it read 5:39 am. she yawned and lied back down, oblivious to the reason she was awake.

just as she got comfortable, she heard three knocks at the door. she scrubbed her eyes with her knuckles.

"scotts?" sav whispered from the opposite side of the door. "can I come in?"

"yeah rick come in."

he complied and gently opened the door, looking at her intently.

"did I wake you up?"

"wh- no, no. you're fine." she smiled, her weary eyes now wide open at sav's presence.

"ok, just making sure." he laughed. he stood at the foot of her bed and they stared at eachother for a good while before one of them spoke up.

"so, what's the damage? are you ok?" scottie asked.

"oh uh, well I cant get to sleep tonight so I figured i'd see if you were awake and we could maybe do something."

she nodded, thinking his words over. "well, it's early. there's not much to do other than have a cup of coffee and watch the sunrise. it's still a little early for the sunrise, so just come lay down here." she said, patting the empty spot beside her on the bed. she picked up a pillow and positioned it so sav could sit up next to her.

he complied and sat down next to her. she turned over and looked at him.

they entered a long period of talking, just about every topic being brought up.

through laughter came tears, then more laughter.

sooner or later, scottie calmed down and looked up over sav's side to her bedside clock. it read 11:19 am. she gasped, then started laughing.

sav watched her close with curious eyes as she covered her face, laughing and giggling, she almost seemed hysterical.

"how do we keep doing this?"

"doing what?"

she covered her mouth and pointed to the clock.

sav jumped when he saw it, as if something had reached out and bit him.

"woah! how long has it been?!"

she shook her head and laughed, jumping out of her bed and pulling sav with her. she ran out into the hot hallway, the heat hitting them

she set one hand on her hip while the other fanned her, then looked around in the long and wide hall, sun streaming in through all the windows.

she stopped at each one and opened them with much difficulty, sav helping her.

she continued down the rows of windows and stopped at an old piece of furniture that sav hadn't noticed before.

she opened a lid on it, and opened the cabinet underneath it.

she pulled out an album, shedding the cover of the pressed wax so fast sav was unable to get a good look at the cover.

he leaned against a linen closet door while she set the record down.

"you know, when I was younger I used to wake up every mornin to play this record. it's more worn than the dirt out there. " scottie said through the record's pops and crackles, pointing out the window towards the drive.