six + the edge.

Pic is Megan/her dad's ring plus triple update (i think) arent you happy
-
But tonight I need you to save me,

I'm too close to breaking, I see the light.

I am standing on the edge of my life.

Standing on the edge of my life,

The Edge - Tonight Alive

-
A S H T O N

Visiting Day came too soon for Megan. To be alone in a room with her parents. They said she didn't have to go, but she insisted.

So we waited as they took her parents to the room where they would be talking. Megan had her head on my shoulder, twisting her necklace around her finger. The necklace consisted of a bronze ring with wording on it. All I knew was that it was her father's, back when he was better.

And then an officer is calling her name, saying her parents are ready to see her. She grabs my hand. "Just come in with me. I'm scared."

I got up, linking my fingers in the slots between hers and she took a shaky breath.

The officer says, "Only two people here to see your parents today other than you. A boy, looked like he was nineteen, and a girl, she was probably sixteen. Both looked like yo' mama." His accent was Southern, and very Southern, making me cringe.

But then I remember what he said, and looking at Megan but directing my voice to the officer, "Piper and Blade were here?"

"Those your siblings?"

"Yeah." Megan says.

"I think those were their names, can't remember though. Anywho, good luck, kiddo," he says, opening the door to the room where I can see both of Megan's parents fidgeting with their handcuffed hands.

The officer shuts the door behind us, and we take a seat in the two open seats.

"Duke," her father says.

"Don't call me that. Maybe I'd let you call me it if you hadn't become a druggie and gotten arrested."

"Maybe if you hadn't been such a little-" her mother goes to snap, but Megan stops her.

"Ah ah, shush. Why'd Blade and Piper visit you?"

"Because they love us. Unlike you did," her mother says.

"Bullshit, because if I didn't love you I wouldn't be here."

"Who's he?" Megan's mother gestures to me.

"I'm Ashton. I'm Megan's boyfriend." I say.

As Megan's mother and Megan get into a slightly heated argument, Megan's father calls me over. I hesitantly go and sit across from him.

"Keep her safe. She's a fragile girl, and I don't know if you know, but when she was twelve, she had self-harm issues. They've stopped, but she's still so sensitive. Just be careful and don't break her heart, boy. I can tell you love her."

"Yeah, I do. A lot," I say, smiling a little.

"You're her world, kid. I can see it." He pats my shoulder.

Then my hand is pulled by a bright red Megan, tugging me out of the room and slamming the door shut, leaving the jail with a frown.

As we drove away from the jail and back home, I watched as Megan's anger-filled face turn into one of hurt and sadness and tears filled her eyes. It was hard to keep my eyes on the road, but I managed.

When we pulled up to the apartment complex, Megan quickly grabbed her things, dashing out of the car and into the complex. I suddenly remember what her father said.

"She's a fragile girl, and I don't know if you know, but when she was twelve, she had self-harm issues. They've stopped, but she's still so sensitive."

Shit. I quickly turn off the car, dashing up the steps to the apartment, where the door is still open. Running to the only bathroom, I quickly try to open it, but it won't budge. Locked.

"Megan? Babe, open up!" I am met with a sob as my answer, and the door clicking.

But its too late.

Three small lines are cut into her skin, beads of blood forming there. Tears are streaming down her face. "Oh, baby," I say.

"I'm sorry," she sobs. "I'm so sorry, Ash."

I lift her from the floor of the bathroom onto the counter, bandaging the small cuts. "I love you," she says. "I don't say it enough. Ash, I love you so much. More than you could ever know."

I smile a little, pulling her in for a short kiss, but she cups the back of my neck, pulling me closer.

"I love you too," I mumble against her lips. She just hums, wrapping her legs around my waist as I pull her off of the counter.

I'm not going to get into detail about what happened next, because, well, that's our business.