𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒: 𝐀 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭?

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

Emily's POV:

As I wake up, I immediately smell the familiar scent of fresh pancakes coming from the kitchen.

Since it was Saturday, I didn't have to change out of my pj's so I quickly freshen up and head downstairs, only to see my mom cooking breakfast.

"Oh honey, you're just in time. The pancakes are ready." She says as she walks over to the table and plops 5 pancakes on a plate in the middle of the table.

"Pancakes are ready? That's all you have to say?!" I ask as she just continues to flip the pancakes on the stove. "Wow. So you're really just gonna ignore the fact that you've been gone for 4 days." I say as I start to get a bit more upset.

She stays quiet and plops a couple more pancakes on the plate.

I scoff and go back upstairs, my mom not even bothering to ask me to come back down.

I can't believe her.

Once I was in my room, I lay down for a bit and just think about the reasons as to why my mom could be acting so weird.

Is she okay?

I decide to get my mind off of things and actually finish the song today since I ended up completely pushing that aside once Luke had left.

I go to my computer and hit play on the song. So far we had most of it done. The lyrics, melody, instrumental, but I still felt like it was missing something.

I decided to just add some background vocals to make it feel more nostalgic and once I was done, I felt satisfied and saved the new audio file so that I could show it to Betty and see what she thinks.

"Emily! Something came for you!" I hear my mom say from down stairs. I roll my eyes, not really ready to see her yet, but I just decide to get it over with and go downstairs.

When I'm at the last step, I notice my mom next to the door holding flowers.

Flowers?

"These came in for you." She says as she hands them to me.

I see that there's a note on the flowers so I put them down on the table and read the note.

     Emily,
         I hope you like the flowers, I know how much you love Daisy's so I decided to get some for you. I can't wait to see you again.

Wait, there's no name. Who sent these?

"I'm guessing those are from Luke." My mom says as she takes a sip of her coffee. "But, why would he send these?" I ask as I look at the handwriting and realize that it's not Luke's, maybe he had someone write it for him?

"I don't know, i'm gonna take them upstairs." I say as I grab the flowers, my mom puts a hand on my shoulder and says, "Emily, don't you think you should eat something?"

I stop in my tracks and turn to look at my mom. "So we're just gonna pretend like you haven't been gone for four days?!" I say, repeating what I had asked earlier.