J. Laurens

For two weeks, Laurens came home to find Alexander writing at his desk reeling with a long-winded, angry complaint about Jefferson and Madison. When he arrived home after a long day's work of construction and walked through the front door, he was surprised to see a much calmer air around his boyfriend.

Laurens took his bag and dropped it on the ground at the wall's corner. He walked to Alexander's side, then leaned down and peered over his shoulder as Alexander continued writing.

"What's going on?" Laurens asked, putting a hand on Alexander's shoulder.

Alexander craned his neck to face Laurens, a frown on his face. "Well, I recently received news that we do not have to stay in Philadelphia anymore."

Laurens raised his brows. He grinned but his smile fell because he couldn't place why Alexander would seem so dissatisfied with the news. "Isn't that good?"

Alexander nodded quickly. "Yes. Yes, it is, but I also know that the election is coming up soon between Burr and Jefferson and I assume they will need my vote." He put a hand to his chin, rubbing the stubble as he pondered. "There has been a lot going on between Jefferson, Burr, and I, and I know that this election will put a very different spin on things."

Laurens walked over to the bathtub where hot water – courtesy of Alexander – waited for him. He continued to talk as he stripped his clothes off his body then lied in the steaming bath.

"So," Laurens picked up the sponge and began washing the dirt and dried sweat off his skin. "Why would anything be different? Aren't you planning on voting for Burr?"

"No, I'm not."

Laurens put a hand on the edge of the tub, splashing water onto the floor. "What, why? Don't tell me you like Jefferson, now, or something. There's no way you're voting for him."

Alexander sighed, resting his quill on the table then turned his chair to face Laurens. "I still don't like Jefferson, but I cannot vote for Burr. He hesitates on every decision he makes. He never has a strong opinion, he just goes where other people are, or where an opportunity presents itself." Alexander dropped his elbows on his knees, then let his head plummet to his hands' embrace. "Burr is my friend. But this is politics, so I won't let my familiarity with someone win over my reasoning. I am sure he'll understand."

Laurens quirked a brow. "You're worried about your friendship with Burr, aren't you?"

"Of course not."

"If you weren't worried, you wouldn't be overthinking it right now."

"He'll understand, so there is nothing to overthink. I'm just responding to your question from earlier."

Laurens got out of the tub, dried himself, then wrapped the towel around his waist. He walked over to Alexander, who still had his head in his hands, and stroked his hair. Alexander looked up. "Alex, I don't know if he'll understand your side or not, but I do know that this isn't something you have to be worrying about right now. The election isn't here yet and the results from it aren't here either. Besides, I've got somewhere I want to take you."

Alexander's posture corrected itself as if he had just been scolded by the ghost of his mother about slouching. He narrowed his eyes at Laurens. "Is this another one of your surprises or are you planning on telling me where we're going?"

Laurens made a show of pretending to zip his lips shut, lock them, and throw away the key. Alexander rolled his eyes but stood and walked to the door. Before exiting, he looked over his shoulder then stared blankly into Laurens' eyes. "Get dressed, John."