H. Mulligan

There they were.

Laurens and Alexander, fully dressed this time and giggling like children. Heads lurching toward each other as if there was some terrible secret they knew about, and no one else could hear.

Lafayette must have noticed the vacancy in the lounge area, except for the star-crossed lovers, as well, or else he would not have done what he chose to do in the first moments he entered the bed and breakfast.

Mulligan did not choose to jump or move out of the way when Lafayette hurled the paper bag, still containing a brioche and a baguette, over his head and onto Laurens' lap. Well, it went into his lap eventually, but it began its downfall from point A: Laurens' face.

"Aye! What the hell was that for?" Laurens seemed as if he was waiting for an answer from Lafayette, but before Lafayette could reply, Laurens took the half-eaten apple he was enjoying and skillfully pitched it to Lafayette's haughty grin.

He hit his target.

The only rebuttal Lafayette could muster was a high-pitched yelp followed by an expression reading, "You really want to do this, apple boy?"

Lafayette took his shoe off, and Laurens grabbed the paper bag, still containing a baguette and a brioche, aiming and ready to fire.

The battle of... not wits careened to an abrupt stop when Mulligan ripped Lafayette's shoe away from him, snatched the paper bag out of the air a second before it hit Lafayette, and used his low, "I'm in charge" voice to say, "You guys are idiots."

Mulligan's stern commandment fell short when Alexander's laughter reigned free.

Laurens turned away from Mulligan to smile at Alexander's amusement. Alexander beamed at Laurens. Mulligan and Lafayette watched this exchange with a knowing expression shared between the two of them.

Mulligan cleared his throat, then waved a "follow me" to Lafayette. They sat down on plush, brown leather chairs in front of Laurens and Alexander. Laurens found his seat, and a civil conversation began.

"Little boy," Lafayette caught Laurens' attention, "There's food for you and Hamilton in that bag you thoughtlessly chucked at me."

A sweet and completely authentic smile inched its way onto Laurens' face.

"Babyyy," Laurens patted Lafayette on the head, "If you're hurt, then you can just say that. Would you like me to apologize?"

Two years ago, Lafayette dated an actress of great renown. They loved each other but separated because Lafayette decided he wanted to go to America to fight in the revolution. While they were still happily together, the actress taught Lafayette different acting techniques. Little tips and tricks if he ever found himself in a situation where they would be needed. One skill she offered him was how to cry on command. This was one of Lafayette's favorites, which was why his cheeks were running with two streams of tears. One stream just as sad as the other. And as fake.

Lafayette wiped away his tears, and replied with a feeble, "yes."

"Ugh," Mulligan groaned and turned to the weeping adult next to him. "We've got things that need to be taken care of, Laf." He tilted his head, "Remember?"

Mulligan noticed the glazed looks in Laurens and Alexander but chose to wait for Lafayette to move the conversation along.

Lafayette cleared his throat, put on a smile that KO'ed the puffy, red eyes with a left hook (Southpaws, am I right?), and stood up.

"Hamilton," he straightened his coat, "I think you know what time it is."

Alexander rose to his feet to look up at Lafayette with a frown.