30

Jamie ordered the sweetest thing he could possibly have gotten at the ice cream parlor - a chocolate-coated waffle cone, three scoops of ice cream (vanilla, chocolate chip, and chocolate), a generous heaping of fudge, and some sprinkles on top. It was "go big or go home" when it came to dessert for Jamie. He began to eat his ice cream, watching with disapproval as Cas ordered a small cone of Rocky Road.

"Yum," Cas sighed contentedly as he dug into the dessert.

"Let's walk around outside for a bit," Jamie suggested. Cas nodded in agreement. Jamie set his hand on the base of Cas's back, pushing the door open for him. "This ice cream is so good," Jamie said, licking at the ice cream as they walked.

"Mmm," Cas agreed. He tossed the paper that had surrounded his ice-cream cone into a trash can, having already finished.

"How the fuck did you finish so fast?" Jamie asked. "That's what she said," Jamie blurted seconds after.

Cas burst into laughter. "You're such a child." Jamie cracked a smile. "And anyhow, you'd be done already if you ate that ice cream with as much enthusiasm as you used to eat my--"

"SHUT UP!" Jamie gasped, flushing a deep shade of red.

Cas smirked. "There's literally nobody around to hear us."

"Still," Jamie muttered.

"Wanna hear a joke?" Cas questioned after a beat.

"Sure," Jamie replied, taking another lick of his ice cream.

"What's the difference between hungry and horny?" Cas asked with a snicker.

"Uh oh," Jamie said.

"Where you stick the cucumber," Cas finished. He burst into laughter. Jamie nearly choked on his ice cream. He had to admit that was pretty funny. Cas grinned at him. "I don't know how I went three years without this," Cas said, taking Jamie's hand after a moment.

"Me neither," Jamie said honestly. "But maybe we needed time to grow or something."

Cas looked away. "I don't know about you, but I could've done without the time apart."

Jamie bit his lip. "Didn't you have any fun in France?"

Cas shot him an exasperated glance. "Have you met my family?"

"Some of them," Jamie replied. "And I have no desire to meet the rest."

Cas laughed. "Exactly."

Jamie finally finished his ice cream, tossing the paper wrapping of the cone into a nearby trash bin. "Are you going to move back to the States for college?"

"Yeah," Cas said.

"Where are you going?"

"I got into Harvard," Cas replied, not without some pride (it was well called-for, given the 4.6% admissions rate).

Jamie's jaw dropped. He threw his arms around Cas. "That's amazing!"

"Thanks," Cas said with a chuckle, hugging Jamie back. "How about you?"

"NYU," Jamie replied.

"Your dream school," Cas said with a smile as Jamie pulled away from the hug.

"Yup," Jamie said. "I'm honestly not totally sure how I got in."

Cas laughed. "You got good grades and stuff," he pointed out.

"With a lot of help," Jamie said, rolling his eyes. "I'm sure you remember that."

"How could I forget?" Cas asked with a grin.