7

As it turned out, everybody got back to the bus before it left, much to the grumpiness of May, who had made a bet with one of the passengers that Jamie and Cas wouldn't be there in time. May drove them down the roads, buddy pairs chatting about their experiences in the castle as they went. May had passed out sandwiches, which had been gobbled down by the starving crew. Jamie checked his phone as Cas, who had decided to save his books for later, sat down with a random couple and struck up a conversation. There were a few unread messages, and Jamie went through them.

Messages: [Mikey] Hey!

Messages: [You] Hi

Messages: [You] What's up?

Messages: [Mikey] Not a lot going on at the moment

Jamie chuckled at the Taylor Swift reference.

Messages: [Mikey] How's the trip??

Messages: [You] Pretty gooodddd

Messages: [Mikey] Nice :)

Messages: [Mikey] Who did your bus buddy end up being?

Jamie glanced at Cas, still talking to other passengers. Cas laughed, running a hand through his hair.

Messages: [You] Nobody important

Messages: [Mikey] Lol

Messages: [Mikey] Sucks

Messages: [You] Yeah fr

Messages: [You] I gotta go

Messages: [Mikey] Wow the bus tour's really keeping you busy, huh

Messages: [You] Yea haha

Messages: [Mikey] Yk this isn't gonna work if we don't talk at all

Messages: [You] Ofc

Messages: [Mikey] I'll call you tn?

Messages: [You] Sure

Messages: [Mikey] K <3 bye

Messages: [You] Bye

Jamie sighed, cracking his knuckles, and put his phone away. Cas slid back into the seat next to Jamie a few moments later. Cas opened his mouth, about to say something, when May called out. "You have ten minutes to stock up on whatever you need and to use the facilities here," she said, indicating a supermarket. "After that, we'll be parking for the night."

"I'll buy the stuff, you use the bathroom," Cas told Jamie. "Then you hold the stuff, I use the bathroom." Jamie nodded in agreement. He had to admit that Cas would know what they needed a lot better than he would. Cas had traveled quite a bit when they were children, always gone for at least two weeks during the summer and one during the spring.

Jamie remembered the many trips Cas had told him of, and the trinkets he had brought Jamie from his travels. One year, Cas had gotten back from a grand tour of Europe just before Jamie's birthday.

Jamie opened the presents of his friends and family, marveling at the new sports gear, skateboard, and gaming headset. He glanced at Cas rather expectantly, as Cas always gave the best gifts, but Cas simply shook his head. He disappeared from the party after the cake was eaten. Jamie trudged up to his room that night with a heavy heart. Had Cas forgotten his birthday? He closed the door, glancing around his room. His eyes landed on a small package, wrapped and placed on his desk. He picked it up, curious, tearing the wrapping paper off. It was a book, a biography of Vincent Van Gogh. Jamie opened the cover, his gaze catching on the scrawled note written there. Happy birthday, James, it read. Frankly, I think you're better than Van Gogh, but I suppose there is something to be learned from even the lesser. Forever yours, Caspian Roux. Jamie plopped down on his bed and began to read. An hour or so later, there came a rap on his window, and Cas slipped into the room. His cheeks were flushed from the night air - cold, despite it being summer.