24

The food tasting had gone well. It had taken the entire day, and, Cas found, everyone was far too full for dinner. May drove the bus full of silent, tired tourists to yet another field. Cas's fingers were tangled with Jamie's on the seat between them, Jamie's sleeping head resting on the wall of the bus and Cas's awake one tipped back against the seat. He could stay like this for a lifetime. The sky had begun to darken as they left the city, and now the first stars were beginning to glisten up beside the moon.

"You're in luck," May had told them as they filed into the bus. "There's gonna be a meteor shower today, and I've got the perfect place we can go to see it. It's just half a mile away." As the bus jolted to a stop, Jamie's eyes fluttered open. Jamie yawned (rather adorably, Cas thought) and raised their intertwined fingers to his lips, pressing a quick kiss to the back of Cas's hand. Cas smiled, putting an arm around Jamie. "We're here, folks," May announced. "Get out of the bus." One by one, the passengers stood up and stepped out.

"Give me a minute, I'll meet you outside," Cas said to Jamie in a quiet voice. Jamie nodded, moving past him into the aisle. Jamie glanced back at him for a brief moment, lips curling in the smile that Cas so loved to see. Cas waited patiently until everyone had left the bus. A bickering elderly couple finally stepped through the doorway, and Cas was alone.

He let his head drop against the back of the seat in front of him, hands tangling in his hair and tugging at it, as though that would help fix the turmoil currently ravaging his mind. Cas sucked in a deep breath. You have to breathe, you have to breathe, you have to breathe. He pulled out his phone, which had been buzzing in his pocket for the last half hour. Six missed calls. Cas pursed his lips, clicking on the name to call back.

"Hi," Cas said into the phone.

"Hey. How have you been?" asked the girl on the other end.

"I'm fine," Cas said shortly. "I'm busy. What do you want?"

"Are you okay?" Amelie (Cas's cousin) asked slowly.

"Yes, I just said that I'm fine," Cas snapped.

"You don't need to get annoyed with me," Amelie retorted. "I'm supposed to check on you twice a week, since apparently you can't resist doing stupid things."

"I'm not--"

"Don't give me that bullshit," Amelie scoffed. "Have you been doing everything you're supposed to?" Cas's eyes fluttered closed. He stayed silent. Amelie blew out a long breath. "What the fuck, Cas? You know--"

"Don't tell me what to do!" Cas exclaimed, cutting her off. "I've been sleeping, eating, everything. It's fine."

Amelie was quiet for a long moment. "That's not enough."

Cas pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm not going to jump off of a bridge or something--"

"That's what you said last time," Amelie said, voice shaking, and Cas felt guilt poke at him.

"Technically, I didn't--"

"Shut your fucking mouth, Cas!" Cas could hear the scowl in her voice.

"I'm not going to do anything stupid," Cas said, fiddling with his sleeve. "I think I'm happy right now."

Amelie's tone was wary when she spoke again. "Things are going well with Jamie?"

"Yeah," Cas said, unable to stop the smile that rose to his lips. "I think so."

There was a beat of silence. "I'm sure he agrees with me about--"

"He doesn't know," Cas said shortly. "I have to go. There's a meteor shower or something to watch."