Part 19

"Come on Sam, come and dance!"

Any nerves I had at coming face to face with one of my idols has dissipated faster than the champagne that I've been sipping and I giggle and fall backwards into Johnny, who places strong hands on my hips, righting me.

"Steady on lass," he says into my ear, and I tip my head back to grin up at him, leaning against him. "You're not falling down drunk already are ya?"

"Maybe it's just a ploy to get you to dance with me," I giggle, and Johnny goes to protest that he's not actually dancing, but then I'm pushing my hips back into his and grasping hold of his hands which I draw tightly around my mid-riff whilst swaying to the beat.

"What was that about not dancing Bondy?" Sam grins, raising his pint glass up. "You're doing a fine job there mate!" He's standing close by, chuckling at Johnny who's now clumsily gyrating his hips against my bum.

"Fuck off Fender, I'd like to see you do better!" He laughs.

"Oh aye, is that a challenge?"

Sam drains his glass with a flourish, setting it down on a nearby table and stepping forward with a mischievous glint in his eye.

"Maybe it is," I hear Johnny say, and before I know what's happening Sam's reaching for my hand and pulling me towards him with a surprisingly amount of force, wrenching me out of Johnny's arms.

"Challenge accepted! C'mon Arabella, you gonna help me out here? Show Bondy how it's done, eh?"

I stumble forwards with Johnny still holding on to my hips, but eventually he relents and lets me go. Sam immediately pulls me in close, his hands snaking around my waist. He takes the lead, starting to shuffle in an awkward slow dance which seems ridiculous when the music booming from the outdoor speakers is some fast-paced track with a pounding beat.

I've spent the best part of two hours now with Sam and Johnny, drinking, chatting and flirting, and I've been having the time of my life. I've spotted Van several times from across the terrace and each time I catch his eye the sullen looks he gives me leave me in no doubt that he's less than happy about my liaison with the two Geordie boys. He's not made a move to come over though which surprises me. He's keeping his distance, skulking around with pint glass in hand, a scowl on his face every time I happen to glance over. I suppose I should give him some attention, but I'm just having too much fun with Sam and Johnny, and now Sam's pressing up against me in a way that's making my heart race.

"So... is this the best you can do then?" I grin up at him, draping my hands over his shoulders, enjoying the feel of his body flush against mine.

"Ah give us a break, I've got two left feet when it comes to dancing. I can move these hips when I want to though."

Is he... coming on to me?

One look at the subtle smirk on his lips and the not so subtle twinkle in his eye leaves me in no doubt that he is.