Part 1

"I just don't see why I have to go and stay with my cousin," I grumble forlornly, flopping down on the sofa dramatically for effect

"I just don't see why I have to go and stay with my cousin," I grumble forlornly, flopping down on the sofa dramatically for effect. "Why can't I just stay here at home? I'll be fine."

My mum and dad look at each other, exchanging looks that speak a thousand words. I know damn well they don't trust me. Last month they were away in Paris for a romantic weekend break and I had a small party. Well... it was supposed to be a small party. I only invited a handful of friends. I wasn't to know that they were going to invite their friends. And those friends would also invite their friends too. All in all it could have been worse. Replacing the whole of the downstairs carpets, having the plumbing system flushed out for the whole house (what the hell were people putting down the toilets anyway?) and having new windows fitted in one of the upstairs bathrooms wasn't too bad I didn't think. The party had been amazing and my friends were all talking about it for weeks. AND I'd shagged that gorgeous guy I'd had my eyes on for months so in my head it was all totally worth it.

It wasn't that I was a bad person, it's just that I found it hard to take responsibility for things. Why worry about the serious crap when there's fun to be had, right?

And right now, the thought of being sent to stay with my cousin Larry in a shitty seaside town in North Wales for the whole summer didn't sound much like fun.

"Arabella, we've spoken about this. This business trip is very important to me and your mum whilst we're setting up the New York office." My dad's speaking in his stern, authoritarian voice that makes me roll your eyes. "We just can't trust you here in the house on your own."

"I could come to New York?" I suggest, jumping off the sofa, looking pleadingly between my mum and dad. Thoughts of a summer in New York, shopping and partying fill my head.

"No way," my mum says like she's already given it thought and she's not budging. "We need to concentrate on the business, not be worrying about what you're getting up to. Your aunt and uncle will keep an eye on you... Besides, you'll have a great time with Larry. You two used to have so much fun when we used to stay with them in Llandudno on holiday."

I pull a face, my memories going to trailing around after Larry and his friends on my childhood summer holidays and all the horrid pranks they used to play on me.

"Larry was the most annoying kid on the planet. And as for his friends... there was this one lad... I don't remember his name but he was his best mate... he was a fucking nightmare..."

"Don't swear in front of your mother!" My dad warns me, but just I shrug. "Now, you've not seen Larry for years. He's not some little kid anymore. Sure you'll have more in common nowadays."

My mum cuts in. "Well actually he's working with some band at the moment, they're getting pretty popular so I hear. That should suit you. I know you like those band types..."

She trails off, a look of distaste on her face. This makes me smirk. Hmm... well I do have a type...

"Okay... I don't suppose I have any choice in the matter do I? He'd just better have some fit mates..."

"Is that all you think of Bella?" My mum says with a sigh.

What sort of question is that? Of course it is.

💋 💋 💋 💋

A week later I'm standing on Larry's family's doorstep with two bulging suitcases, willing there to have been some sort of mix up and I'll be sent home, but no. My aunt and uncle greet me warmly with hugs and kisses, exclaiming how much I've grown. Well yeah... of course I have... I'm 19 now, not 9!

"It's so good to see you Arabella!" My aunt says. "It's such a shame you stopped coming to stay with us for the holidays!"

"Yeah a real shame!" I reply, trying to keep the sarcasm out of my voice. When my parents' business finally took off holidays in Wales were replaced with vacations in the South of France and the Italian Riviera. "I really miss... errr the beach and the... errr..."

What am I talking about? I don't miss any of it! Thankfully at that moment, Larry appears, distracting everyone from my awkwardness.

"Bloody hell Bells! Look at you!" He exclaims, doing a double-take.

Everyone's so surprised that the girl they see before them is the same skinny, pasty-faced little girl of my past. It's true the years have been kind. My shapeless body grew curves in all the right places, my unruly hair that I used to scrape into pigtails now cascades down my back in soft waves and all in all I'm pretty confident in how I look. Well, the boys certainly don't seem to have any complaints.

Larry's just as I remember him but a bigger version... not much though... we're practically the same height.

"Come on, I'll show you your room," he says and I'm glad to get away from my aunt and uncle fussing over me.

"So... what passes for fun in this shithole?" I say as soon as we're out of ear-shot.

"Hmm your attitude's not changed much then!" Larry quips as he opens the door to a spacious room with a door that opens out on to a small balcony.

"Come on Larry," I say, sitting down on the bed and bouncing on it lightly to test the firmness. "I'm sure your idea of a fun summer isn't hanging around with your little cousin. I'm sure there's other stuff we'd both much rather be doing."

"Oh I don't know. Was actually quite looking forward to seeing you."

"Really?"

Is he taking the piss? He looks sincere.

"Yeah, reminiscing about all the stuff we used to get up to. Remember when I put that frog in your bed?"

He immediately cracks up laughing and I shudder at the memory. For fucks sake he's not grown up then. And he's on a roll.

"What about the slime in the shampoo?" He's got tears rolling down his cheeks now whilst I look at him, unimpressed.

"And what about the spiders? You used to hate those big fat ones. Remember when Van put one in your..."

"VAN! That was his name!" It's all coming back to me now. I screw my face up. "That little shit! You two used to be inseparable."

It takes Larry a while to compose himself after his laughing fit. "Still are!"

I've started to open up my suitcase. "Still are what?" I say distractedly.

"He's still me best mate! He's in a band now and I look after his guitars. You'll see him tonight. I'm taking you down the pub to meet all the guys."