Part 4

"Arabella

"Arabella..." Van says, stretching out my name almost like he's savouring the taste of it in his mouth. "What the fuck happened to you?"

"And what's that supposed to mean?" I reply, enjoying the way that his eyes roam over my body as he speaks.

"Well... you've... you've... erm... changed..."

I fix Van with a slightly exasperated look. "Of course I have, it was ten years ago! I've grown up!"

He nods slowly, his eyes slipping down briefly to ogle my cleavage. "You can say that again!"

I bite back the grin that threatens to spring on to my lips, shaking my head like I'm mildly offended which of course I'm not. Whatever weird and wonderful magic mother nature has worked on Van's appearance during adolescence has transformed him. Unfortunately I suspect that his personality might still resemble that of the cocky twelve year old that I used to despise. The sort of vibes I'm getting from him now tell me that he still fancies himself.

"Well I barely recognised you either. It's good to see that you've got rid of the shit haircut. I swear you used to look like your mum put a bowl on your head and cut round it!"

"Cheeky fucker!" Van blurts out whilst Larry dissolves into fits of laughter, nudging his friend.

"She might look different but some things don't change, eh Van?"

"I was trying to be nice as well!" Van grumbles.

I narrow my eyes at him. "Don't think I can't remember how mean you used to be to me. You and Larry used to pick on me all the time. How do you know you didn't scar me for life with your stupid pranks?"

"You don't look too traumatised to me," he replies. "Anyway I can make it up to you now. How about I buy you a drink?"

"I'll have a gin and tonic," I say, fluttering my eyelashes at him. "A double."

"Coming right up!" Van gets up eagerly and makes for the bar and I smile to myself. I can't remember the last time I had to buy myself a drink when I was out. Men are so easy to manipulate.

I feel a sharp jab in my ribs and turn swiftly to see that Larry has scooted across to sit right next to me.

"What?" I hiss.

"Don't get any ideas!" He says under his breath, glaring at me.

"What are you talking about?"

"I overheard my mum talking to your mum on the phone before you arrived. Something about how she needed to keep an eye on you. That you were going through a 'phase'."

"A phase?" I repeat, waiting for him to elaborate.

Larry shifts in his seat, looking uncomfortable. "Well your mum says you've been... you know... seeing lots of guys..."