Part 14

Bob and Benji emerge from the shadows first and I hug them both

Bob and Benji emerge from the shadows first and I hug them both. Lucy squeals excitedly and throws herself into Bob's arms, practically knocking him off his feet.

"What did ya think Bella? Class, eh?" Van's unmistakeable voice rings out and I feel myself tense as I turn to him.

Just as Lucy said, he's drenched, his black shirt sticking to his body and his hair hanging around his face in damp strands. Larry throws a towel to him and he rubs his face with it before slinging it over his shoulder. I'm just about to answer when I see Johnny directly behind Van.

I purposefully walk forward as if I'm moving towards Van, watching his arms raise up like he's going to hug me, then at the last minute I swerve, making straight for Johnny, launching myself at him.

"You were great!" I cry with enthusiasm, pushing myself up on my tiptoes to plant a kiss on Johnny's lips, wrapping my arms around his waist.

He looks shocked as I pull away, then a huge grin stretches across his face as he looks down on me. A twinge of guilt shoots through me as I sneak a glance at Van and note that he's definitely noticed my blatant show of ignoring him.

"You really thought so?" Johnny asks, and I quickly look away from Van and back to him, but not before I note the looks that Larry's giving me.

Of course Larry knows the game I'm playing, and I feel ashamed for all of one minute, before I reason with myself that Van totally deserves it. Getting me all fired up like that then leaving me aching for more? What does he expect me to do? Beg for it? Well, fuck him.

"You're amazing on that guitar Johnny," I simper, loud enough for Van to hear. "And I've been thinking, I definitely want those guitar lessons you were on about if you still want to teach me?"

Johnny slips an arm around my waist as we all make our way to the breakout room at the back of the venue. "Yeah of course, I can't wait to teach ya. We'll have loads of time on the tour bus too. It'll be fun."

I glance at Van again as I move past him, a small smirk playing on my lips, then I look away.

The band's manager, Dan, is waiting in the room, handing out ice cold bottles of beer and congratulations to the boys. Larry introduces me and he gives me a barely veiled stony look which quickly turns into a warm smile as soon as Larry utters the words "little cousin".

"Oh my god, you thought I was a groupie didn't you?" I challenge him boldly, and he looks awkwardly down at his feet, mumbling out his reply.

"Nah... nah of course not, I know the lads aren't into all that. It's really nice to meet you Arabella."

I shake his hand, accepting a bottle of beer and clinking the top of it with Johnny's before I take a swig.

"Arabella might become the fifth member of the band yet when I've taught her how to play!" Johnny laughs, and I beam up at him.