Part 22

I'm vaguely aware of a voice nearby calling my name, but the way my heart's thumping as I see Sam starting to walk purposefully towards me over the decking has made it hard to concentrate on much apart from the cheeky smile on his lips and the ent...

I'm vaguely aware of a voice nearby calling my name, but the way my heart's thumping as I see Sam starting to walk purposefully towards me over the decking has made it hard to concentrate on much apart from the cheeky smile on his lips and the enticing glimmer in his eye.

"Hey... Arabella! I was saying do you want another drink? I think the party's going to be wrapping up pretty soon. I've seen quite a few people heading off already."

Lucy finally gets my attention by waving a hand in front of my face but she only attracts it fleetingly. I'm too busy titivating my hair and adjusting the plunging neckline of my dress to pay her too much heed. I mumble that I don't want a drink and that I'm fine before turning back to see that Bondy's now stepped in front of Sam, bringing him to a halt. A frustrated sigh escapes me.

"What are you looking at anyway?" Lucy's curious, craning her neck to follow the path of my gaze, then she turns back to me. "Or should I say who are you looking at? Is it Bondy? Hold on a minute... is it Sam? It is, isn't it? It's Sam! Have you met him yet? What's he like?"

She lowers her voice and it's quiet, but even so I can still make out the edge of excitement, a kind of hushed breathiness that instantly makes me swivel around to face her. She looks a little flustered as I smile at her, taking in her eager eyes and the rosiness of her cheeks.

"What?" She asks defensively as I smirk knowingly at her.

I carry on smiling, shaking my head. "You too, huh?"

Her face instantly creases like she's puzzled, but she's just not that good an actor. I can see right through her.

"Sam... you fancy him too, right?"

"Of course not!" She blurts out, her head swivelling quickly around to look at Bob who's deep in conversation, then back again as she leans in close to me, her voice dropping lower but still louder than she probably intended. "I don't bloody fancy him!"

"Who don't ya fancy?"

The voice comes from somewhere up above us and we both whip your heads up quickly to see Sam standing right there, grinning from ear to ear.

I quickly look at Lucy, a laugh bursting forth at the noticeable glow on her cheeks, her mouth opening and closing as she scrambles for something to say. I consider letting her suffer as the quiet stretches on but luckily for her I'm feeling merciful, plus I don't want to pass up on a prime opportunity to flirt with Sam.

"Wouldn't you like to know!" I smile up at him, secretive with a hint of mischief.

He smiles right back, but then his eyes flick back to Lucy. "Actually, I'd rather know who ya do fancy!"

He shoots her a cheeky wink and her cheeks darken even more, but she still doesn't reply, she just giggles girlishly, twisting a lock of her glossy red hair around her fingers as she looks up at Sam shyly.