T MINUS 9 YEARS BEFORE THE WEDDING

So my dumbass just realized that the story is written counting down the years before Sakusa and Atsuma get married😀

~~~
The next time Sakusa and Atsumu have no choice but to look at each other face to face again, it's an entire year after that fateful night in their shared dorm room.

As usual, as it always is, Inarizaki and Itachiyama are up against each other for the throne of National Volleyball Champions.

Not to say they never saw each other before then, though. Scattered throughout the year, they would see each other across courts and venues. They'd pass by each other near food stands or T-shirt stalls. They'd catch glances of each other during warm ups or when they're standing with the rest of the players who qualified for Nationals during the opening.

Stolen glances. That's all they ever allowed themselves to have.

Sakusa almost expected for the entire world to know what he and Atsumu did that night, thought that maybe he'd go on some rampage, angry and vengeful, and would tell everyone what a dick he was.

Tell everyone that the #1 ace of high school volleyball was gay and that he'd treated Atsumu like a hit and run.

If he'd done that, Sakusa probably wouldn't have survived it. But he probably would've deserved it. He wouldn't have held it against him.

But he didn't. He never did. Everytime their eyes met, he never even sensed any anger or resentment in Atsumu's brown eyes. Sakusa knew that he wasn't angry. Only hurt.

Sakusa never stopped feeling like shit for it.

He thought, maybe in a different universe, maybe if he had different parents, they could've done more. They could've done something. Maybe, he and Atsumu could be giving each other good luck kisses or congratulations kisses or you did well no matter what kisses right now.

Maybe they could've been together. Maybe Sakusa wouldn't have had to spend a whole year making out with another girl he just couldn't love, no matter how hard he tried.

Maybe. That's all he has. A maybe.

He hadn't slept with anyone since Atsumu happened. Not that his girlfriend never tried to initiate anything, though. He felt like shit about her, too. He's yet to touch her without his gloves. She didn't deserve any of this and he's always known it.

He just couldn't bring himself to do it again. He couldn't bring himself to do it with anyone else.

He wonders if Atsumu has. And then, he feels a sting in his chest when he realizes he probably has.

He pushes the thought away.

When they shake hands before the match starts, Atsumu doesn't look at him.

"Let's play a good game!"

Atsumu serves first. That monstrous fucking serve.

He takes six steps back. A jump serve.

He tosses the ball in the air, runs forward, jumps, and aims it straight for Sakusa.

Sakusa lunges forward in a hurry with arms outstretched, and the ball makes a loud noise as it hits his hands hard . It goes up.

That hurt, you asshole, he tries to communicate to the boy with his eyes.

Good, his expression seems to say back.

__

Itachiyama takes first, Inarizaki gets second, and Karasuno sits in third place.