T MINUS 10 MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING

A full week passes.

Sakusa is already sitting in their living room by the time Atsumu walks into their apartment, looking a lot better than the last time Sakusa had seen him.

His eyes were still bloodshot, but still.

They meet each other's gaze and it's quiet for a moment, as they study each other. Sakusa wants to ask about the hike. Atsumu wants to ask about why the hell he'd apparently visited their home in Hyogo and talked to his parents. They don't do either of those things.

"Ya look like shit." Atsumu points out.

"I know." Sakusa answers. "I went to Hyogo a few days ago. I talked to your parents."

Atsumu pauses, before closing the door behind him, and walking towards Sakusa, setting his duffel bag down and settling on the couch. "I heard."

Sakusa purses his lips.

"Were ya plannin' on beggin' for me to come back, Omi-Omi?"

Sakusa almost laughs at the way Atsumu somehow manages to make light of even this kind of situation. "I don't know what I was gonna do then, honestly. But I do now."

"Do ya now?" Atsumu asks and Sakusa can't seem to read how he's feeling, "What's that?"

He takes a deep breath.

"I'm not gonna apologize to you just yet." Sakusa declares.

Atsumu's eyes widen very slightly, the only thing that gives out anything on how he's feeling.

"There's too much I have to do, too much I have to settle, so many things I have to make up for, a whole fucking... lifetime of unlearning to do." He says, making sure he keeps his eyes on Atsumu, faces him head on, "But I'm gonna do all of it. And I'm gonna be a better fucking person, a braver person, and I'm gonna make sure that you know it happened because of you."

The pure shock that Atsumu's feeling is evident now, despite his obvious attempt at trying to keep it in.

"I'm gonna get to that place, Atsumu. I'm gonna get to a place where I can tell you I love you, without feeling the fear or the shame that would always come with it." He promises, "And once I'm there, I'm gonna look you in the eye and apologize to you."

Atsumu looks like he wants to say something back, but can't bring himself to find any words.

Sakusa saves him the trouble. "Will you wait for me?"

Atsumu almost laughs at how ridiculous the question is. He swipes at his eyes, says, "Are ya fuckin' stupid? 'Course I will."

Sakusa smiles, carefully reaching out, giving Atsumu room to reject him, as he opens his arms slightly.

Atsumu easily reaches for him back, melting into his arms like he always does. "M'proud of you, Omi. I hope ya know that."

Sakusa holds him tight, pulls back slightly to press a kiss to his temple. "Don't say that just yet. Save it."

Atsumu hums and kisses his shoulder. "Shaddup. M'proud of you always."