T MINUS 8-4 YEARS BEFORE THE WEDDING

University wasn't all that interesting or life changing for Sakusa Kiyoomi. People always told him back then that college would be where everything changed for you.

Not much did.

He was living alone for the first time. So, technically, he had a lot more freedom to do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted.

He didn't party, didn't make too many friends though he did have a few acquaintances, and spent all his time either studying or training. All he needed to do was get his fucking degree and then he could go pro, like he's always wanted.

His first year went by uneventfully.

He was busy, really busy, which was probably why his parents weren't on his case about him not dating anyone or making any friends. Although.

It was a few months into the first semester of his sophomore year that he'd walked into the library and met eyes with a familiar face.

"Oh." They say at the same time, pointing at each other, like that spiderman meme.

"Itachiyama ace!"

"Karasuno manager..."

Sakusa's eyes drift to the girl's backpack and the very bright rainbow pin on the front pouch, catching his attention.

He stares up at her.

She tilts her head.

"Wanna sit with me?" Sakusa asks before he can chicken out, motioning to a free table.

"Sure!" She smiles. "You're... Sakusa-san, right? I'm Yachi! Yachi Hitoka!"

Sakusa never thought he'd be saying this, but his mom was right about one thing. When he got to university, he did meet great girls.

Well, one (1) girl. Just the one.

Sakusa awkwardly returns her smile as they pull out their seats. "How're the guys from Karasuno?"

She goes on a tangent after that.

It's strange, Sakusa thinks, as he listens to her talk. For some reason, he feels it in an instant.

The feeling that it was the beginning of something really important.

It's half a year into the friendship that Sakusa gathers the nerve to ask Yachi about her sexuality.

She tells him she's a lesbian as if she were just telling him what she had for lunch.

She doesn't ask him back, the way that Atsumu hadn't, years ago, and he wonders if the fear is written all over his face.

She doesn't ask, but he says it anyway.

"I'm gay."

Yachi smiles and reaches out to squeeze his hand. They stay like that for a few seconds before she exhales, turns to him and asks,

"So, that new episode of BNHA. Thoughts?"

Sakusa loves her very, very much at that moment.

He then has flashbacks to last night, crying over Mirio smiling at Eri despite the fact that he's bleeding all over. "And prayers."

Sakusa Kiyoomi firmly believes that he wouldn't have survived past college without the existence of Komori Motoya and Yachi Hitoka.

Through them, he makes a few friends, he goes to a few parties, he makes out with a few boys, drunkenly. (He does not remember their names or their faces for the life of him, though.)

He lives. He lets himself live, just a little bit.

The night before his graduation, he sits in his couch with the two, Komori only half conscious and Yachi going on another one of her tangents about how her first love, Kiyoko (Karasuno's manager before her, apparently), had ended up being straight.