Chapter 8

Rose Hathaway

When I woke up at first, I was glad that I was alive, as no one truly wished to die before their time, but as the gravity of the situation dawned on me, I cried. I cried for everything I had lost, everything that I had worked so hard for and had lost. Those who had beckoned me I missed dearly and wished to join them just as I should have years ago. Mason my friend who had died saving my life, a life that was on lend. He didn’t deserve to die; he should have lived while I should have taken my rightful place looking over Lissa with her family. Lissa’s parents and brother were more souls who didn’t deserve to have their time of Earth ended so abruptly; they had so much life and wisdom to spread, things to teach others and to learn themselves.

From what we found out André had one lesson that had to be learnt, humility and compassion to others. Both of us, we idolised that boy, but we were wrong to do so. He had been no better than men and I used that term loosely such as Jesse and Ralf. If we had known the truth about André back then we would have pushed him to make things right, but of course we were young and naïve. Having said that, I had been naïve in many things such as thinking a love could last and prosper no matter the trials and roadblocks that may have blocked its growth.  I was naïve to think that I, a Dhampir had any chances of finding love; our soul purposes in our world were to lay down our lives saving those who are thought to be more important than us merely because they had fangs and magic.

That brought me to where I was now. Sitting in the backyard of the house while Baba spoke to whoever was on the phone I was left with my thoughts and trust me my thoughts weren’t helping. As I said before when I first woke up, I was happy but now that I was alone and no longer surrounded by dirt, I had time to think. A lot had happened. I had almost died after having my heart shattered. Mason had used some unknown ability to be seen by a Strigoi and got said Strigoi to take me somewhere safe, where my father then performed an act that had been considered forbidden and forgotten for centuries. A ‘Blood Purge’ was something I had only read in texts concerning Shadow-Kissed Anna. Not only was she shadow-kissed, but she became what had only been documented as an ‘Alpha Dhampir’ something considered a fairy-tale. Now Baba was saying I was the second to ever exist. I was no longer Rose the Dhampir, instead I was something closer to a Moroi. I drank blood, I had fangs and if my Baba was correct, and hadn’t indeed lost his mind, I could now control the elements. How could any of this be possible? If I was a Moroi, then I would never be a Guardian; but then again why was I even caring, it wasn’t like I had anything to live for anymore. I had lost my love, my family and now apparently what made me well me.

Nothing made sense to me anymore, nothing I needed or wanted seemed in reach. Everything I had worked hard for was now lost to me. What I needed was never going to come and no matter how much I sought it, I was never going to find it. I wasn't born for great things, nor to find my place in the sun. I knew no matter how much I would try every day, worked for what I wanted and needed, there weren’t any paths to success, not from here. I wished that Mason hadn’t found me and hadn’t brought me the help he thought I so desperately needed, I wanted nothing more than to close my eyes and never open them again. Death I knew was the only way out of this heartache, it was the only way to end my lifetime of misery.

As I sat there alone with my depressing thoughts Baba found me and sat down next to me. He stayed silent for what felt like hours until the sound of vehicles thundered down the road that led to the house. I wondered who it was, who had been sent to pick him up. That could have been the only reasoning behind it right? Watching as my father stood up and walked to where three black SVUs stopped I felt fear like none other. The cars were from Court, and I didn’t want to stick around long enough to find out who was inside them.

Leaping up to my feet, I was running like my life depended on it. The trees and flora whipped my face like whips against a scarred back. The cries and screams of those in the cars followed me as did the pounding of footsteps. But the person who had caught up to me was the silent out of them all. A heavy weight collided with my back sending me tumbling to the ground. The earth kissed me as I was thrown, with the weight sitting on top of me. Groaning and cursing the person, I twisted around as much as they allowed me to. Perched on top of me was the man who had come to Mason’s calls, the Strigoi. Not one of the ones who reminded me of Christian but the one who strangely resembled Jesse. My eyes widened as I realised just who he had to be. Eyes falling out of my head I laid there staring at the man who I had been led to believe was dead, mauled by a Strigoi.