Chapter 31

Rose Hathaway

I ran out of my own house. I couldn't be there anymore. If there was anyone who could have hurt me for thinking I was a freak, it would have my family or Dmitri's. My friends may have understood what had happened to me, but they definitely haven't accepted it yet. I doubted that they would ever fully accept what I have become. But for the Belikovas to fear me, to find disgust in me... well that was hurtful.

I didn't stop running until I found myself at the Palace. Guardians went to calm me down but I just ran past them until I reached my aunt's private chambers. I know what you are thinking; we hadn't had much time to get to know each other. During my two years away, Aunt Tatiana had joined Adrian when he visited me when we went to Egypt. It was hilarious watching the older woman browsing the market places and then during the boat down the Nile River. I never thought I would see Tatiana smiling and so carefree. She had truly become my family along with Addie and my parents. Yep, I finally got that relationship with my mother and after returning from Russia and then hunting down the myth to bring back Dmitri, my father finally got his wish, to be the father he always wanted to be. My parents got their wedding and whoever had threatened the lives of my mother and myself, was either dead or was in hiding. The wedding was beautiful, simple but elegant. They got married in Turkey but had their honeymoon in Scotland.

"Rosemarie, there you are Child." My aunt's voice floated next to me and I dried my tears before spinning around. With my aunt was my mother. She took one look at me and pulled me into a hug. Her love drowned me as her arms wrapped around my body. I wasn't aware that I was crying again until my mother pulled back and wiped the tears away.

"Enough Rose. You are a Hathaway, Szelsky, Badica and lastly Ivashkov. You were born to rule, you are the strongest person I know, now it's the time the rest of them to know the truth about you."

I laughed at her choice of words. I had barely seen the woman until that awful break at the Ski Lodge. She gave me a black eye and belittled me, only to be one of my ricks after I lost Mason. We had truly come a long way. Speaking of a long way, I looked at what she was wearing. The typical Guardian attire was gone and was replaced by a gown of green that just brought her hair out amazingly. She wore a tiara that had the jewels of the Szelsky family; while her jewellery showed her alliance through marriage to the Badicas.

From what the women who had organised my dress, I knew that I would have the heaviest, most over the top jewellery that the Court had ever seen. Three royal families, that was a lot if jewellery, and I wasn't sure I was ready for it but it wasn't like I had to time to argue it. My mother and Tatiana pulled me out of the Chambers and down several corridors until we reached the very same alcove that the reunions happened the day we returned back to Court. Once we reached inside, the ladies that had measured me weeks before were waiting for us; their expressions of frustration turned to relief when we entered.

"There you are M'Lady. Your coronation starts in two hours. We need to get you ready."

I sighed and sat down so the torture could start. Luke seriously, I could handle killing several Strigoi, in groups, but getting ready for a party, no matter how big or small was always a hassle.

Hours later, I was finally ready. The hair and makeup took forever; but I had to admit, the woman who stared back at me from the mirror was not me. Her eyes were no longer brown, but silver swirled around the lighter orbs that resembled honey. The woman's hair was curled up around the top of her head with strands framing her face. Lifting my hand, I was positive it was a trick when the reflection repeated the motion. The beauty in the mirror was me. Gasping I pushed away from the vanity and looked to where my mother and aunt were crying; their own makeup smearing slightly.