Chapter 1

Dmitri Belikov

I had been restored. I was no longer trapped in the body of a soulless drone that only existed to kill and drain the lives of innocent people. I could sit in the sun without burning, I was free. I couldn’t believe how much my life had changed since I left my Academy. My childhood had been one of the norms; except for my father beating on my mother and raping her. It was horrible, but my mother never once complained. I was thirteen when I finally stood up and did something. I wasn’t proud of that something, but it needed to be done. I beat my own father up, leaving him battered and bruised, and then he left with the help of a Moroi. I never met again until I was restored. I never knew that the infamous Abe Mazur, otherwise known as Zmey, would become an important person in my life, well at least related to an important person in my life. Growing up, I was the only male in the house until I met Ivan Zeklos at St Basil's.

Ivan and I were inseparable ever since we were kids, and being his Guardian certainly didn’t change that; nothing did until that fateful night. When he died, I felt like my life had been worthless, turned upside down, and tossed to the curb. I was lost. No, that was an understatement - I had no clue on what to do with my life. I didn’t want to be a Guardian to another Moroi, but that was how the lives of Dhampirs went. You lost your charge and survived; you were given another charge without any time to mourn. Luckily, I was one of the rare cases, I was given time to mourn a year.

I had been allowed a few weeks off to mourn for him, but I was soon accosted by the court to think about my next assignment. I didn’t have any interest in having a personal charge after losing Ivan, but Court didn’t want to hear it. We had eventually compromised that I wouldn’t have an official charge for a year. I would be assigned to Princess Vasilisa Dragomir upon her graduation from St. Vlad’s, until then, I would be stationed as a Guardian for the school.

On top of that, I had also been instructed to train my future guarding partner, Rosemarie Hathaway. From what I had heard about her, she was smart and talented but a troublemaker, unless you spoke to Kirova the Headmistress, then Rose was a waste of space and deserved to be placed in a blood whore community, something that pissed me off considering my family background. But first, I had to find them. Rose, for some reason, had taken the Princess from the Academy. The Academy had been searching for them for a year by the time I had joined the team. It took a while to find the runaway students; but we finally did, in Portland, of all places. Later, I found out that it had Rose, who had hidden them, and boy was she smart.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
Flashback Begins
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Rose was standing at the edge of the road, waiting for me, though it seemed like she was lost in thought. I took the time to really look at her. Her body was gorgeous. There wasn’t an ounce of fat on her. It was all pure, toned muscle. The fabric of her leggings clung to her shapely legs and perfect ass.

I mean, it was perfect. Her hips were wide but not unseemly. Her curves looked dangerous but soft to the touch, if you would be lucky enough to touch her. Oh, and how I wanted to touch her. My hands itched for even the smallest of touches, and it was getting harder to control myself as I continued my assessment. Her waist dipped in, giving her a soft curve that was very pleasant to my eye.

The swell of her breast was just barely visible above her tank top. Her clavicles were well defined, but she didn’t appear malnourished. Her shoulders were pulled back, and she looked to be alert even though she was staring off into space. She held herself with power and grace.