Blast from the Past

Kakazu and Hidan walk in silence back to the inn. Hidan keeping his eyes on the ground, Kakazu silently keeping his eyes ahead, wondering what has gotten into his murderous partner. They hop the fence and walk back to their room. Hidan sets his scythe down as he walks to the bathroom and closes the door, ready to wash the blood off him.

He stands under the hot water, his hands against the wall, his head between them, watching the water turn pink from the blood. He feels a familiar, cold presence fill the bathroom.

"You failed me Hidan."
He trembles, goosebumps forming, despite the warmness of the water.
"I know...." He whispers.
"What were you thinking?"
"He wasn't worthy. I didn't feel he was good enough for you Jashin-sama."
"Who are you to decide that?!"
He shakes.
"Forgive me. I won't make that mistake again. Please, give me another chance," he whispers.
"You're on thin ice Hidan."

The bathroom feels empty again as he runs his face under the water, hoping he could drown himself but ultimately fails. He turns off the water and steps out, drying his muscular body before wrapping a towel around his waist and walking back into the bedroom.

Kakazu switches with him, showering next as Hidan twirls a kunai in his hand as he stares at the wall in front of him. Soon he hears the water turn off as Kakazu finishes his shower. Maybe tonight he'll finally get to see his face he thinks. He tries to look disinterested as Kakazu opens the door and steps out of the bathroom.

Are you fucking serious Hidan thinks.

Kakazu stands in the doorframe as he gathers his clothes, a towel around his waist and a mask on, his wet hair down around his shoulders. Hidan doesn't mean to stare but he never noticed before that Kakazu has a really nice body. Stitches run down his body, over rippling muscles and abs leading to the v disappearing into the towel.

He looks away as Kakazu walks to his bed, putting on boxers and a shirt, then laying down, resting his head against the wall. Hidan turns off the light and lays down, staring at the ceiling. "Do you want to tell me what that was?" Kakazu asks. Hidan closes his eyes, wishing it was enough to take him away from this conversation. "It was nothing," he says turning over, covering himself with the blanket, making that the point of ending the conversation. "That didnt seem like nothing Hidan" he replies. "Well it was, so can you leave me alone? I'm trying to sleep" he says staring at the wall. He hears Kakazu sigh and then lay down in his own bed. Hidan squeezes his eyes tight, hoping it'll force him to sleep. Not knowing he'd regret wishing it would come so soon.

dream...
"Hidan..... Hidan come on.. we have to go." His eyes blink open. "Kumei?" He whispers. He shakes his head, his childhood friend is staring down at him, shaking his shoulders, his necklace swinging in front of his eyes. "Come on. We can't be late again," Kumei says standing up.

Hidan gets to his feet and realizes he's back in his old temple and he's young again, 18 to be exact. "Kumei, wait." His friend turns around. He eyes his necklace, the Jashin symbol hanging from his neck. "Where are we?" He asks. His friend chuckles and grabs his hand. "You really slept hard huh? It's time to go see the elders." His friend takes him through the dark tunnels of the temple before arriving in the middle room, lit by thousands of candles.

A group of 6 boys joined by Hidan and Kumei standing in the center. A door creaks open as the elders enter. 6 large, muscular men in black robes enter and take a seat in the pews above the circle where the boys are standing. "Welcome young men. You are finally of age to pay your dues to Jashin and obtain your rightful gift of immortality," one of them says in a booming voice. Kumei looks at Hidan as they smile at each other.

"But first, like all things, sacrifices must come first" he finishes motioning to a nearby guard. The guard takes Kumei lightly by the elbow, leading him to a table as the elder walks down to the center. Kumei faces his friends as the elder steps behind him. "Are you ready to pay the price for your immortality?" He asks. Kumei smiles and nods. "Yes elder," he says.