Grief

Thump...... thump.... What..... What is.... thump. Pain, searing pain flows through his body.... this pain.... thump! He sits up abruptly, gripping his chest, heart beating powerfully. "What.... where am I?" Kakazu looks around as he rubs his chest, his threads closing his wound. He eyes the puppets and wood work, Sasoris workshop.

He slowly gets to his feet, his body feeling achey and sore. I guess it worked... my hearts took over. His head pops up, Ren! Hidan! He moves silently to the door but stops before he turns the handle. I'll never stop until I take what's mine.... he hears the Elder in his head. I need to make sure he's gone before I go to Hidan.... if I need to fight again there's no point in returning until I know he is gone.... Kakazu makes a flurry of handsigns as a clone appears beside him. He motions to the table as the clone lays on the table. He covers his clone with the sheet before slipping out of the window.

I'm sorry Kakazu.... the image of Hidan stabbing the kunai through Kakazu flashes in his mind. "Kakazu!" Ren screams as he sits up abruptly, his head heavy and aching. He looks around to see he's in his room. He flies out of the bed and runs to the door, flinging it open. "Kakazu! Hidan!" He yells as he runs down the hallway. He opens their door slowly, unsure what he will find. He walks in slowly, seeing Hidan sleeping, curled up with a pillow, tear marks on his cheeks. Ren looks around not seeing Kakazu, his anger grows as he looks at his brother sleeping soundly.

"Hida-!" Kisame covers Rens mouth and pulls him out of the room before he can wake his brother up. Ren struggles against the taller ninja as Kisame closes the door and let's him go. "What the fuck!" Ren yells as he turns around. "Ren, calm down. Let's talk over here," Kisame says softly. "Why! Why should he sleep after what's he's done!" Ren yells, anger surging through his body. "Ren," Kisame repeats. Ren breathes heavily, staring into Kisames grey eyes. He nods and turns around, he's angry but he's always respected Kisame and will do his best to hear him out. Kisame sits on the couch, motioning Ren to sit beside him.

"Kisame, where's Kakazu? The last thing I remember was..." Ren trails off, remembering his brother and his kunai. Kisame shakes his head slowly, confirming his worst nightmare. Tears fill his eyes as Kisame explains. "If Hidan didn't do what he did, he would've never stopped until he killed you, Kakazu or your brother." Ren nods slowly, now understanding. "Why didn't you tell me?" He says looking up at Kisame with his large, sad, blue eyes. "Would you have gone through with it knowing?" Kisame asks. Ren looks at him, his eyes trembling, he slowly shakes his head as he looks down. "I'm sorry Ren..." Kisame says softly. "Do you want to say goodbye?" He asks. Ren looks up and nods.

Kisame remains silent as Ren quietly walks towards the still body. He pulls back the sheet and tries to muffle his sobs. He takes the cold hand in his, running his finger over the green ring. "T-Thank you.... for everything" he whispers through sobs. "I hope... i can make you proud of me." Kisame looks over as Hidan joins him by his side, watching Ren silently. Ren sobs, losing the only father he ever had, the only family besides Hidan. "Ren..." Hidan says softly, stepping towards him. Ren whips around, anger flowing back in. "What do you want?" He snaps. Hidan looks at him sadly, his heart broken as well. "I... i need to explain... I-" the words tripping out of his mouth. "I don't want to hear it. I get that you did what you had to, but he...." Ren struggles to get the words out, sobs interrupting them. Hidan steps closer, laying his hand on his brother's shoulder, trying to comfort him. Ren slaps his hand away, "Just....just leave me alone!" Ren yells as he runs out of the room. Hidan looks down, his brothers anger adding to his already heavy heart. He covers Kakazus body as he turns back to the door. "Just give him some time..." Kisame whispers. Hidan nods sadly as they leave the workshop.

"I'm here for Lodai," Kakazu says at the gates. The guards turn to themselves as one runs to find the new leader. Kakazu tries to wait patiently, not wanting to cause uproar by being violent, he just wants to get back home... to Ren...to Hidan... but he has to know for sure first. "Kakazu?" The gates open as Lodai greets him. "Long time no see! How have you been?" The cheery Jashinist says slapping him on tbe back. "Fine. I need to speak with you in private" Kakazu says sternly. Lodai sees the seriousness in his eyes and nods.

He takes him to the temple he thought he'd never seen again, not missing the memories made here. "We killed the Elder who managed to escape last time," Kakazu says handing Lodai the Elders necklace. "Escaped?" Lodai says looking at the pendant. "He came back?!" Kakazu nods as he sits down, his body still sore and tired. "Hidan stabbed him and I with the blessed blade, destroying both immortal hearts." Lodai looks at him curiously "How are you alive then?" Kakazu shakes his head "I have 4 other hearts inside me. I was lucky they kicked in when the other was destroyed." Lodai shivers, "That's.... creepy." Kakazu narrows his eyes at him. "Uh... cool!" He says quickly turning around, "But creepy," he says quietly. He walks over to the podium and lights a fire. "I'm glad you brought me this," he says throwing the pendant in the fire. "Why?" Kakazu asks joining him by the podium. "Our pendants are what keep us tethered to Earth but act as a beacon to reach Jashin. That's how our cardinals know where to find us and other Jashinists." Kakazu looks up to see a cardinal fly and land on Lodais shoulder. "By destroying this. There is no way he can come back now," Lodai says looking at the melting metal. "Good. That's all I needed to hear," Kakazu says turning around.

"Wait," Lodai says. "There has been some weird rumors going around the temple," he says concerned. Kakazu raises an eyebrow "And?" He asks. "Well I don't know if it's true but apparently Jashin has taken his human form. I haven't seen him but many of the older believers tell me the signs point to him being on earth." Kakazu nods, "Isn't that what you want?" Lodai shrugs, "He must be here for a reason. I hope its a good one. Just tell Hidan if you see him. He always thanked Jashin for his mercy and guidance" Lodai says. Kakazu rolls his eyes and turns around, "It'll be the first thing I tell him," he says sarcastically. "Bye Kakazu! Tell Hidan and Ren I said hi!" He yells waving goodbye to the tall ninja. The sun is at its highest point, burning heat into his black cloak as Kakazu covers his eyes and deciphers which direction to go. If I hurry I can be there by early morning...