Thirty-four: Alina Starkov

Thirty-four:

Alina Starkov

They found a nanny that was willing to watch Genya at her home, and then they went to The Church of Saints. It was in the village, in the center. The golden domes of the cathedral could be seen from the center. "This seems risky," said Aleksander, "the last time someone else got involved, they died. I don't want another Mal situation. What if the ghosts find a way to put a stop to our searches?"

Alina reached out and put her hand on top of his. "We're afraid to be in our own house, Aleks. And we're afraid to leave it. I know you're hearing the voices in your head too. I saw you pacing last night."

He smiled softly at her. "You didn't say anything?"

"You looked like you wanted to be alone," she said.

"I don't remember doing it," he answered truthfully.

"See?" Alina said. "That's why we want to look into the past and get answers."

"We might awaken something worse."

"Worse than ghosts that want to kill us?"

"Point taken," said Aleksander, "alright, let's go before I lose my nerve."

"Aleksander Morozova, the big, bad, billionaire CEO, is afraid to go into a church?"

"Of course, I am," he said, "they might see my sins. No one should know my sins but me. And maybe my accountant so he can help me hide them."

Alina chuckled a little. "Come on. The other day I was thinking about killing birds. We've got to do something otherwise we're going to lose our minds. Well, more than we already have."

"Alright," said Aleksander, "perhaps The Apparat has the number for the Ghost Busters."

The two of them got out of the car and they walked into the church. It was early morning on a Monday, and the church was empty except for the older man that sat in the front of the pews. He had a notebook in his hand and seemed to be working on a sermon.

"Apparat?" Alina said tentatively as they approached.

The older man stopped what he was doing and looked up at him. He had dark brown hair, brown eyes, and a long beard. His eyes were sunken into his head and there were deep bags under them. "Sankta Alina!" he murmured with wide eyes. Alina stared at him, surprised as he got up and bowed to her.

Alina glanced at Aleksander.

Aleksander stepped forward. "She's not a Saint. She's----" Alina watched him glance over to her. "She's just Alina Starkov."

The Apparat shook his head. "I'm sorry. Of course you aren't Alina, but....you do look like her. Do you know of The Saints?"

Alina shook her head. "I don't. One of the orphanages I had worshipped the religion but I haven't dealt with it much. But actually Apparat, that's why we're here."

The Apparat peered closely at Aleksander. "You look familiar. Do I know you?"

"Possibly," said Aleksander, "I grew up here. I've been to this church for a few weddings and celebrations."

The Apparat narrowed his eyes. "You're a Morozova."

"Aleksander Morozova," he said, holding out his hand.

The Apparat glared at it. "I know all about you. You're the one that killed your wife."

"I didn't kill my wife," Aleksander insisted. "She killed herself. If you know who I am, you know about the Manor. You know about the kind of stories that surround it."