Thirty-five: Aleksander Morozova

Thirty-five:

Aleksander Morozova

It was Genya's uncle tormenting them. Of course, it was. But how could he prove it? It wasn't as if he could take ghosts to a custody hearing. But if they could prove what kind of dark things he dealt with, perhaps Aleksander could keep Genya from him forever. He left the church with Alina feeling hopeful for the first time.

"Alina," he said as they walked out into the sunlight.

"Hmmm?" she turned to look at him.

"Will you marry me?" he asked.

Alina shifted uncomfortably.

"I'm sorry," he apologized, "maybe I shouldn't have asked. But I thought we're here now and well..."

"Is this just because of Genya?" Alina asked.

His brows furrowed. "What are you talking about?"

"Genya," Alina said, "is this because you want to keep Genya safe?"

He took both of her hands in his. "Alina, that may have started out this way, but.... I can't exist in the shadows without you. If I'm going to live in the darkness, I want to have you by my side, always."

"Do you...." She hesitated, chewing her lip.

"Do I what?"

"Do you love me?" she asked. "This isn't just about having a naïve girl attached to you that you can control?"

"Alina, of course I love you," he said, "you have stayed with me through this ordeal when a smarter woman would have left."

Alina chuckled wryly. "I don't know if that's a compliment."

"It is," he said, "you could have abandoned me and Genya and you didn't."

"I would never abandon Genya," Alina said.

"What about me?" he asked.

He almost didn't want to ask. But he couldn't help it. He had to know if she was only there for Genya, or if by some chance she actually loved him....

She heaved a sigh. "I don't truly know you, Aleks. And you've done nothing but lie to me. You....you took my first time, do you know how important that is? I thought I lost my virginity to my husband and I just... I thought I was living this fairytale and...."

"I know," he said, "and I was the monster that came and dragged you out of it. I don't have the right to ask you, but you are all I think of, Alina. I'm a man who an have anything or anyone that he wants and there's only one thing that I want."

"I'm not a thing, Aleks," she said softly.

"I know," he said, "but I want you. You're all I want. I would give up everything I had if it meant that I could have you."

"I'll marry you," said Alina, "I think because you're the only person I would want to survive darkness with. But I don't want us to get married just because the church is there."

He raised an eyebrow. "No?"

"No," she said, "I want us to get married because we're in love, not just because the church is there. And I think we should have Genya there so that she knows she's part of our family."

"Oh Alina," he murmured, "you have no idea how much I love you."

She smiled up at him. "I love you too, Aleks. But we need to get rid of the ghosts, and then we'll think about forever."

"Yes," he said, "ghosts and then forever."