Forty-two: Alina Starkov

Forty-two:

Alina Starkov

She could hear trickling water. Her head was pounding as she came to. Her vision was blurry. There was someone standing in front of her. "Well, aren't you a pretty one?" a deep, male voice said. "I could see the attraction. No wonder he did such terrible, atrocious things to keep you. Although you look smart, so I don't know how such a pretty, smart thing like you got tied up with a horrible, piece of shit like him."

"You look like Aleksanderrrr...." Her words slurred. "How do you look like Aleksanderrrr?"

"We're not related, if that's what you're thinking. Call it a fluke. Magic. A curse."

"A curse?"

The not-Aleksander nodded. "You know the story of The Sun Saint? Or The Witch? The woman that haunts your pond?"

"I do," said Alina.

"Well, it wasn't The General or The Town that killed her. It was a group of necromancers. They wanted her bones to perform powerful, dark magic. But they didn't count on one thing."

"What?"

"Alina and the General were soulmates, and that is a powerful magic all of its own," said the not-Aleksander, "when the necromancers killed them for their parts, it created splinters. The Splinters can only be fixed by reuniting The General and Alina's souls in their bodies. Now, I have The General's body but of course The Witches was a little hard to find. But you will be perfect."

"You're Genya's uncle."

"I'm Genya's uncle. And that's why I am doing this. I am a necromancer. I am powerful. And I am going to get what I want, which is The Witches powers. And then I can use those powers to keep Aleksander away from my niece."

"But Aleks will still be alive."

"No, he won't be," said Anton Safin, "because in order for The General to possess me, there can't be any others. Which means that when Aleksander comes here to save you, I am going to kill him. And then everything will be perfect. Because I'll be able to have my niece. And her money. And Aleksander's money on top of everything."

Alina laughed. "You're a fool."

"What makes you think I'm a fool?"

"He won't come for me."

"He won't?"

Alina shook her head. "He doesn't love me. I was just a means to an end. I don't mean anything to him. So, your plan is going to fail."

"I think you're wrong," said Anton, "I think he will come because you're a pretty little thing and you've got him wrapped around your little finger and I'll be able to get everything that I've ever wanted."