Chapter Seventeen

Taeyong was in the class, focusing on the lecture. He was alone this time. Jaehyun wasn't beside him as usual. He got somewhere to go for 3 days. It felt weird without the younger by his side. He left yesterday. Last night, Taeyong felt so empty on the bed. Usually, Jaehyun would hug him from behind but instead, Taeyong hugged the pillow Jaehyun used. He didn't want to admit it, but he missed the latter.

Also, the final exam was around the corner. Jaehyun should focus on the study. And his father should understand that. But he sent his son away. If only Taeyong knew why Jaehyun had to go. The boy told nothing about his job. Taeyong just knew that his family ran a business and the mafia at the same time.

The lecturer dismissed the class as the students started to pack their stuff. Some of them have another class and others just wanna go home. Taeyong was the latter. He got out of the building and could see a fancy black car was waiting for him. Kai came to fetch him up.

"Hey." Taeyong said to the man after he got into the back seat of the car.

Kai remained unbothered as he sped away when the latter closed the door. Tsk, cold as always. Taeyong thought. They drove past a familiar road as Taeyong's face lit up.

"Can we stop at the café I used to work?" Taeyong asked.

"No."

"Why~? Just buy a drink. Just one."

"No."

"It's between two of us only. Don't tell Jaehyun about this." Taeyong kept pleading to the man.

"Still no." still with the same reply, Kai remained unbothered.

Taeyong threw himself onto the seat and pouted, scoffing loudly. He folded his arms as he looked out. Kai spared a quick glance through the rear-view mirror at the sulking Taeyong. Cute. He thought.

His eyes shifted to the side mirror and realized something odd. The same black car had been following them for a while now. That's when he knew they were being followed. There must be a trap somewhere on the path since they didn't make any move yet. Kai then took a sharp turn, changing the path. Taeyong's body jolted to the side due to the inertia.

"Where are we going?" the boy asked.

"Get down and cover your face. We're being followed." Kai said as he took off his black sunglasses.

"What?!" Taeyong was shocked as he tried to look behind them.

"Follow my order or you will be the target." Kai raised his voice a bit as he took another sharp turn.

He took out his gun as a precaution while trying to figure out how to get away from their potential attacker. Shooting firearms in this area in broad daylight could be risky. Kai needed to lose themselves away.

"Whatever happened, never show your face. Not until we're safe." Kai said to Taeyong.

Taeyong who was kneeling on the seat with his face glued to the cushion nodded. Honestly, at a time like this, it's a wise choice to follow whatever Kai said. Suddenly, the attacker sped up as they cut the distance between them. Kai also started to step on the gas, trying to get away. But to Taeyong's shock, he heard multiple gunshots being released.

"Prepare for impact!" Kai said as he turned the steering wheel.

His car immediately went towards their attacker, hitting the vehicle. Due to the big impact, Taeyong fell from the seat and a painful yelp could be heard from the boy. His arm got bruised.

"Stay hidden!" Kai said as he opened the door. Taeyong immediately covered his face.

Kai let out half of his body and aimed his gun at the driver. The car had a black tinted windshield, but Kai predicted the position of the driver and pulled the trigger. The bullet went through the glass straight to the driver's head, killing him instantly. Suddenly, three more men got out of the car and Kai immediately shot the one behind the driver.