Chapter Twenty-Nine: Answers

"Please, just hear me out. I want to be honest with you."

   Girlfriend could tell both of the boys were skeptical, But Keith hesitantly nodded, allowing her to continue.

   "You know better than anyone, Keith, that my parents are... messed up." She started, her eyes turning glossy as she tried to blink away the tears. "And, well... first of all... the other day, they told me..."

   She took a shuddered breath, reached up and pricking her index finger against the tip of one of her horns. A droplet of deep red blood flowered from her hand. That seemed to help calm her nerves. As she did so, however, her baggy sleeve slid down her arm, revealing an array of scars and scabs trying their damndest to heal.

   "I'm... adopted."

   Keith choked on his breath. "Hua-... what?! But you... your hearing, you poofed into smoke, you-... fuckin'..."

   "My parents did it." Girlfriend continued, cutting off Keith's breathless ramble. "They cursed me, used this weird concoction to make me into... this." She gestured towards her horns. God, they looked uncomfortable to haul around all day.

   "That's why I'm not that weird purple, that's why I never had powers before." She continued, hate growing in her voice.

   "B-but you always had scary good magic hearing..." Keith babbled, trying to counter what she was saying.

   "That was their test run; to make sure they did this bit right." She exclaimed, licking her slightly chapped lips. "They started drugging me fully the night my dad dragged me off. And that's also when-" She choked.

   Pico tried to interject. "Lady, are you-"

   "The pills I gave you were the last test. If I could drag you down to hell, it meant it was done; that I was a real... demon? Whatever the fuck that means." She spat, banging her fists on the table. "But my parents... the Dearests...are fucking CRAZY! They fucked with my brain, they fucked with my body, they fucked with my WHOLE GODDAMN LIFE!" She cried, a little red glint blinking in her eyes.

"Keith, that's why I was moody, that's why I was possessive, and crazy, and-"

   "Um... is this a bad time?" The waitress squeaked, cautiously approaching with the milkshakes. Girlfriend quickly composed herself.

   "Not at all." She said sweetly.

   The lady dropped off the three drinks and shuffled away, a terrified smile plastered on her face. Keith took a cautious sip of his cookies and cream.

   "Anyways..." Girlfriend continued, her now bloodshot eyes glancing down as she stirred her red velvet shake. "That's why I was so... out of it. I'm sorry, I know I hurt you. But..." She took a deep breath. "I needed to make things right. Firstly, Pico..."

   She slid a check across the table, signed by Mr. Dearest.

   $20,000.

   "I'm sorry for all the extra work I gave you."

   Pico shoved aside his chocolate drink, pointing the gun back at her face. "That's nice and all, but you cursed Keith! And how the fuck do you expect to fix that?!" He growled, reaching into his own pocket and pulling out the little bottle of pills.

   "We know exactly what you did to him, by the way, you twisted little bitch."

   Girlfriend took a shuddered breath, opting to get straight to the point before lifting her hand again to show off a little capsule. "This."