8teen

The sun had long since faded behind the heads of the trees by James's house

The sun had long since faded behind the heads of the trees by James's house. Cool air filtered amongst the heat of spring, and I sat at the kitchen counter, engulfed in one of Remus's sweatshirts as the cake that would be eaten for my birthday breakfast baked in the oven.

The boys had been kicked out of the room as soon as the night had officially switched to morning, but not before James could be the first to wish me a 'Happy Birthday' and Sirius could reiterate that, now that Remus and I were both legal, the terms of their bet had shifted in his, Sirius's, favor. It was now about two hours later and the topic of my hatred for the day had resurfaced.

"I dunno," I said, pulling a crisp from the bowl in front of me. "It just always ends badly."

"Badly how?" Asked Dorcas from the seat beside me.

"Like, when I turned eight I broke my arm," I offered with a pitiful laugh, remembering my rock climbing adventure with Theo and how terrified he was when I hit the ground. The memory of the boy, though, changed my mood slightly.

"Or when I was thirteen," I said sardonically. "Theo wouldn't talk to me all day because I was starting to look like the photographs of my mother at that age."

The girls were quiet for a moment and I felt the silence echoing in my mind and rippling through my bones. I was entirely relieved when Lily broke it.

"Okay, so there are some bad memories," she said. "But you're with us now. And that means no more sad birthdays."

"Yeah," nodded Alice. "Like, how many times have you started your day with cake?"

"It really is a game changer," agreed Marlene.

"Yeah," I smiled slightly. "You're probably right."

"You also didn't have a hot boyfriend to celebrate with," offered Dorcas. "Like, if you wanted to have some birthday sex, I'm sure it would help."

I laughed as Alice and Lily blew up in disagreements over the terms of their bet.

"I've already lost," Marlene commented angrily. "10 galleons you owe me, Carter."

"I didn't tell you to make this bet!" I exclaimed with a laugh.

"You still could have helped!"

"No," cut in Lily. "You just take your time, Syd. It's best to be sure."

"You're only saying that because you bet they'd wait for marriage!" Marlene accused.

"Well, Syd is a stiff!" Retorted Lily. "What do you expect?"

"A stiff?" I cried. "What the hell does that mean?"

"It's like a borderline prude," explained Alice calmly as she slipped on a pair of oven mitts. "But she's wrong. You won't wait until marriage, just until... Oh, I don't know... Your one year anniversary... Right?"