practice... again

I stepped outside after what felt like forever. The snow was just as light and fluffy as I remembered, and I felt my chest tighten. But I wasn't out here for the snow. "Listen... I understand you require a place to stay, but my home is not an option." I don't even own it anyway, I'm just using this abandoned house to hide. "If you follow this path down to the village, I'm certain you'll be able to find refuge from the snowstorms."

He frowned, though I could tell it wasn't aimed towards me. "You're right, sorry. I shouldn't have bothered you for so long as I have already... If I ever come back, it would not be to stay here, if that is alright?"

"Hmmm... I find no fault in what you say. Alright then, I'm sure it is time for you to be on your way. Do not let me find you here tomorrow." I turned to go back to my house, pulling the door tightly closed behind me.

. . .

"Hello..." He smiled up at me nervously from where he sat on the floor. "I promise I did not intend to return, but the wind was far too harsh for me. You'll let me stay until it dies down, won't you?"

"No. Leave." My jaw clenched and I opened the door. Icy bits of snow blew into my face and I slammed the door shut. "Fine. But under no circumstances will you bother me."

He nodded quickly. "Oh, of course! Uh... What about food?"

I stared at him coldly. "Surely you have your own food? I cannot waste money on others at the moment, as if I would ever want to."

"Oh... Okay. Sorry, then." He stood up stiffly, stretching. "I'll sit by the window and watch for the wind to lighten up, then."

With a sharp nod to his idea, I turned and headed to the study. Magical illnesses... Curses... I sifted through the arrangements of books, taking out any that could be anything close to what I'd been looking for. I took the books and settled down at the desk, looking over them.

After a while, I heard the door open and shut. I didn't mind, but soon after I realized by the cold draft coming in that it wasn't shut properly. Sighing, I stood up and walked over. The wind had indeed died down, and it looked almost nice outside... save for the storm clouds.

Usually when it stormed, everything was pelted with ice from the sky. Trying to recall the time he'd left, I realized he wouldn't make it to the village in time. Throwing my coat on and grabbing my polearm, I set out after him. It wasn't that I needed someone to talk to and wanted to help, I just couldn't leave him to die.