shorter practice, besties

I'd stayed at her place for a time after. What I thought I knew, every aspect in her seemed to tear down. Of course, I was sometimes far to impatient to listen to her "prosperous sermons", but that didn't mean I wasn't trying to listen.

I remember many times when I'd say something and she'd snap her cold gaze on me in an instant. I wonder what I'd said to make her so furious, but she never told me, and I'm starting to think she never will.

Nevertheless, she tells me other things, before we sleep.

"The legends of old," she started in the same way as all other homilies, "are not to be taken at face value. Who do you think the tale is being told by? It is not by bystanders hidden in the brush or snow, nor by some force watching from above, but by the one who is highlighted by the legend, on many accounts."

"I don't understand why we're talking about this today-"

"Listen."

I shut my mouth with a long sigh and nodded. Fine, I'll listen today, if I don't zone out.

Once she was satisfied, she continued. "The ends, essentially, justify the means. If a kingdom is fighting another with an illegal form of battle and win, will the tales not say they fought with valor and integrity and won because they were better? The losing kingdom may very well be in the right and yet, in the tale, be shown as a villain. Do you understand?"

I frowned, raising an eyebrow. "I guess? It's an easy concept. I just don't understand why you-"

"Shush," she silenced me. "Everything I say has meaning, you just need to listen." And with that, she pivoted on her heel and went out the door, pulling it closed behind her.