Was it all meant to be...?

She laid her forehead against the tree, convulsing with each smothered sob. 

Her fingers traced over the markings in the tree, each touch pulling on her heart like a stab in the back.

"I'm sorry- I'm so sorry!"

The wind pulled softly against her hair and swept it behind her, keeping it from sticking to her face as her tears fell, and she collapsed to the ground.

She heard a voice telling her that it wasn't her fault, but she didn't- she couldn't- agree.

It was her fault. For not pushing her away. For trying to protect her instead of leaving her. For letting them be friends. For everything.

And she knew the risks.

Hours passed and she felt drained, her head aching and her eyes burning, but still she cried.

The sun was lower now on the horizon and the air was cooler now, like autumn.

"I told you it wasn't your fault, Tsuki... Why don't you ever listen? Everything that happened, it was meant to be."

Her head whipped up and her eyes caught a faint glow behind her.

Turning slowly, she took it in with each detail.

The sun's last glow had faded and instead, it was the moonlight filtering in through the trees.

And in the moonlight, there she stood.

Her pale hair was just a bit longer than when she'd died, but her brown eyes held every same ounce of warmth in them.

There was a crown on her head and she wore a beautiful green dress, adorned in vines and leaves and flower petals.

She held out her hand, smiling softly. "C'mon, get up, Tsuki."

Tsuki leaned against the tree, gazing at her. How are you here?

The fair girl leaned forward, getting onto her knees to wipe her friend's tears away. 

The touch was cold, but there was a loveliness to it that Tsuki leaned into, closing her eyes.

And though the warmth was gone, she could feel her friend's presence.

"I've always been here... With you. Hey, stop crying, okay? Listen to me."

Okay...

"I'll always be here with you, wherever you go, so long as the grass can grow and the sun can shine." 

She cupped her hand around the crying girl's cheek, leaning forward to touch foreheads with her.

"It's alright to miss me, but don't let this take you down. You're so strong and powerful. Just don't be so reckless, and I'll be happy, okay?"

"Okay. I'll... Be more cautious." Her hand moved up to hold Rin's. "And you'll always be with me?"

"...you may not see me, but yes, I will. I promise. As long as the grass grows and the sun can shine."

When Tsuki woke, the sun was now filtering through the tree's leaves and she was laying down, alone.