28. Too Emotional to make a Portal

Star asked me for a favor. She was doing something for Tom so she asked me to go out for a couple hours. I was at the mall for 3 hours. I kind of got bored. I was heading home. I sighed. I was still confused of all this. Maybe it's a coincidence. But that doesn't explain the marks on my cheeks. I still didn't get much sleep. I had to many questions... I was adopted so who was my birth parents? Maybe I was shipped from some other place. The only time I got some sleep was from Beach day. It finally happened and it did make me happy. But after that, the questions started filling my head. I have to get over that. I made it back to my house. I hear Star and Tom in the back. Maybe I can surprise them. Okay act casual. I open the fence gate.

"Hey, lovebirds! Am I back too early?"

"Ugghhh! We were doing so well."

"I was walking around the mall for, like, three hours, so I figured I'd— What?!" I notice a crane next to the house with a frozen helicopter. "Uh... whaaaat?"Star and Tom glance at each other, then look back at me.

"Tom and I are breaking up."

"What?! Why?!"

"It's... It's complicated. But it's the right thing."

"For both of us. I should go. I feel like I'm ready now."

"...Me, too." Tom takes a few steps away and opens a portal to the Underworld. Star steps toward him. Tom turns to face her. Star moves in to kiss him on the lips, but she stops. I bit my lip.

"Oh. Hmm. Right." She kisses his cheek. Tom walks toward the flaming portal.

"Catch you later, Starship." Tom floats up into the flames. Star looks sad.

"Come on. I'll make you some nachos."

"That sounds pretty good." We walk toward the house.

"You know, I heard the new season of Fiesta de la Noche is—"

"Aw, c'mon!" I turn still seeing the fire. Tom was still here. He pokes his head out through the flames. "Are you kidding?! Uggghhhh!" Tom floats up to us and the flames disappear.

"Gueeeess whaaaat...?"

"Nooooo! Still?!"

"Still what?" I ask.

"We've been trying to open portals all day."

"But apparently we're both too emotional to do it."

"Well... I'm not upset at all!" They glare bitterly at me. I start sweating.

"What I mean is... I can help you! With my scissors! One non-emotional portal comin' up! Beeeoooop! I wave my dimensional scissors to open the portal.

"Um, Marco?" I look seeing the portal didn't open.

"Uh, sorry. I, uh..." I keep waving my scissors but the portal still didn't pop up. "Oh, c'mon, you stupid scissors! What the?!"

"Come on, man."

"This has never happened to me before!"

"Of course. We infected Marco with our sad vibes." Is it because I'm emotional to right now? Is it because all the stuff running through my head?

"Wait, wait, wait. So what does that mean?"

"I... think it means you're stuck here."

"What?!"

"I don't know what to tell you Tom. I'm sorry." He sighs. The sun was setting.

"Well there's nothing we can do. Why don't we just go inside for now."