Chapter 25 "Trouble"

Meadow POV

The smell of crips morning dew fills the air. Shire's awake already, so we might as well get going. I make myself a quick breakfast of weeds and grass. The perks of being a sheep normally out way the cons of it. If I were a wolf or coyote I'd need to actually hunt. Like what Sirocco does once or twice every week. She's always asks if I wanted to come with her, but I always decline. I went once, and I couldn't stomach the smell of blood and the look of fear. I've never really cared for it either. When Sirocco's hunting, she seems to practically transform into the ruthless, cruel and bloodthirsty monster I once thought her to be. She's gotten nicer, and I don't blame her for her will to kill. Power comes with a price, as does it corrupt.

I finish eating quickly and get Shire ready to go. "Listen boy, if we don't take any stops at all. I think we could make two days travel in one" I tell him. He's listening to me. But he obviously can't understand. We get going quickly. The ride has been going well so far. I'd say it's been about 6 or 7 hours since we've started. That's when Shire comes to a near screeching halt. "We're losing time. There's nothing wrong" I tell him as I dig my heel into his thigh. But he still doesn't move an inch. I dismount him and look around us. I can't notice anything wrong. But he most certainly does. It's only a matter of time. Click! 

Noises are coming from the bush. "Don't move." A voice says. I freeze in my tracks. A sheep with a crossbow pointed at me steps out from behind me. "State your name and business" the sheep asks. "Meadow Shepherd of Dire District palace. I'm just passing by" I say. The sheep just chuckles and raises their crossbow up to my throat. "We don't like anyone loyal to Sirocco" the sheep snarls in a stern tone. "But, since your of my kind, a sheep. I'll let you off with a warning. Had you been a goat or anything of higher class, I would have shot you immediately. If I see you on my land again, I'll make sure that you won't be returning to Sirocco and her tyranny" the sheep says. I let out a sigh of relief. At least I'm not dying. Sirocco was right about this place being dangerous. "I'll keep that in mind. I'll be leaving now" I say as I mount on Shire. "Good" the sheep snarls.

We ride along for a couple more hours before stopping for the night. I dismount Shire and tie him to a tree for the night. I grab my map from a holster on Shire's saddle. I unravel the map and notice a big circle around the area we're in. The writing inside that circle states 'MERCENARY AND HUNTER LANDS. DO NOT STOP'. That's not a great sign. I jump up from my seat beneath a tree and untie Shire quickly. I mount him as fast as possible and dig my heel into his back. "Go boy go" I whisper into his ear while gripping tightly onto his reins. 

Suddenly, I'm pulled off Shire's back and fall. A slicing noise fills my ears. Shire and I are stuck in a net, high up in a tree. Shire begins thrashing around and the tree behind to sway. "I think we got something!" A distant voice calls. "We aren't going hungry again tonight!" Another distant voice calls.

A/N: Haha, I wasn't satisfied with the length of this chapter so I'ma keep going.

Meadow POV (continued)

A big white wolf comes barreling down the hill towards us. Blood stains their coat and rips line their pants. A sword swings gently on a holster at their side. I'm going to assume that that's the mercenary. The mercenary chuckles when they look up to see Shire. I don't think they see me sitting on top of Shire's belly. The mercenary licks their lips and begins their upward climb to us. Once the reach the top, the mercenary jumps back. "Jesus fucking Christ. You nearly gave me a heart attack sheep" The mercenary says. "Welcome to the Mercenary and Hunter sisters land" she says. "I'll ask Jackie if a sheep would be worth a butchering" Mercenary says. I'm going to assume Jackie is the hunter of the two. I let out a sigh. "Listen, I'm on a journey and I can't afford to lose my horse" I sigh. Mercenary shakes her head. "No can do, it's been days since a catch. Ain't no way in hell we're letting your horse go. You, maybe. The horse, no." Mercenary snarls. 

"Would money be worth your while to let us go?" I ask. Mercenary thinks for a quick minute. "How much are we talking?" Mercenary asks. I dig through my pockets to see what I have. I don't really have much to offer... except my father's carved sheep. The sheep has eyes made of pure emerald. But am I really willing to let this go?, after all it is my most prized possession. "Wait, is that emerald? I'd be willing to let you go over that" Mercenary says. "I-I don't know" I reply. "Actually, I have a better idea. How's about I just kill the both of you and take the wooden sheep on top of it" Mercenary grins. 

New chapter tomorrow