Chapter 22 "Now or never"

Meadow POV

I wake with a start and stare at the ceiling. This is it. It's the day. I finally give into the crown's demands. Slowly, I make my way out of bed and down the hallway. To my surprise, Sirocco's stood on the balcony. That's strange, even for her. Especially since the sun's just barely rose. I trot over to the door and step out. Shocked at how cold the floor is, I jump back inside. "Well good morning itinerant" Sirocco mumbles without even looking in my direction. "Good morning. Aren't you freezing?" I ask. Sirocco shakes her head. That's when I notice she doesn't have any boots or anything to separate the freezing floor from her bare back paws. "That can't be good for you can it?" I ask her. "You're right. I didn't notice it anymore after the first hour" Sirocco sighs. "First hour? How long have you been out here like this?" I worriedly ask. Sirocco checks her pocket watch quickly before replying "Pretty much all night" she yawns. 

Sirocco POV

Meadow guides me inside with a worried expression. There's no need to worry about me, after all I'm a monster who doesn't deserve any of these riches. Meadow gets me a hot coffee and gives me a blanket. Gently, I sip from the coffee but recoil after a few drops touch my tongue.  It doesn't mix well with the alcohol aftertaste that always lingers in the back of my throat. "Oh stop it. We don't have time for you to fuss over this" Meadow growls. Clearly she's in a hurry, but what for?

Oh yeah, she's leaving today. I forgot about that. "Right" I nod. Once I'm done, Meadow ushers me down the halls and to the stable. "As a gift to you, please. Take Shire with you" I say. "Really? You'd let me do that?!" Meadow bounds up and down with excitement. I nod along. "Now, are you prepared and all?" I say as I look her up and down. Making sure she has the right attire for a journey of this length. "For the millionth time. Yes" Meadow sighs with a small smile. "See. I have my bag, sword, quiver and bow and map" Meadow adds. Good, maybe she doesn't need as much support as I offer her. Meadow mounts onto Shire's back and adjusts his saddle. "Good luck and happy trails Meadow!" I smile as Shire and her stride over to the gate and unlock it. "I'll be back as soon as I'm done! Make sure you don't let that crown get out of control" Meadow replies as she rides off into the crisp morning air. 

I close the gates and close the stable doors on my way out. That's when I slump with my back against the wall and begin drinking. Begin getting this mess of a coyote soothed with the overwhelming alcohol. Oh how it's nice,

New chapter tomorrow