Sleigh Rides and Darkened Tunnels

Avoiding Bofur proved far easier than Lyla originally anticipated. In fact, she didn't really have to do much to stay away from the hatted dwarf who was being fussed over by Oin. Thanks to Gandalf's meddlesome person, Lyla was ushered near the wizard's side. His purpose (he claimed) for calling her near, was to present her with a small sword.
"It's about your size and it's of Elvish make which means it will glow blue when orcs or goblins are nearby."
She'd be lying if she didn't admit to the small trill of excitement that flittered down her spine as Gandalf placed the cool metal and sheath in her small hands. An Elvish weapon! And an Elvish sword no less! Yes, a sword would come in handy (It would have come in handy before now...when wargs were attacking them) Though...
"But, I've never used a sword in my life Gandalf," she admitted, the ever realistic Baggins side of her keeping her Tookish behavior in check (somewhat).
The wizard, in an almost grandfatherly way replied, "And I hope you never have to. But know this: true courage is not knowing when to take a life, but when to spare one."
And that was all the advice he gave her. And a fat lot of good it'd do her, her Baggins half whispered. Without any training, she'd probably be dead before she could consider whether or not it was a worthy cause to spare someone's life. And more than likely, she'd injure herself more than her enemy ever could.
It was a hopeless case really.
But sighing in resignation and unable to part with something so beautiful, taking the sharp object, she carefully belted the sheath of her sword around her hips (mindful of the pain radiating from her ribcage). Lyla followed Gandalf towards the man(?) clad in brown, who smiled brightly at her (and was that bird droppings on his face?) and regarded her person carefully.
"Ah a young earth child!" He exclaimed exuberantly, "It is a most welcome sight to see a young hobbit for I have not had the pleasure of company from your kind in a very long while."
"Oh, uh, well, it's nice to meet you I s'pose," Lyla replied. Who was this man?
"Ah, Bilbo, allow me to introduce to you, Radagast the Brown. Another wizard like myself."
Brilliant. Another wizard. He must think her daft.
Radagast, however, only smiled. "Gandalf tells me that we must make haste to Rivendell and that you may be the key to convincing your..erm...company of dwarves to comply with this?"
Now Lyla was confused. Why did they need her to convince anyone of anything? Her mind was struggling to move past the constant presence of pain and focus on putting one foot in front of the other. How could she possibly do anything? She shook her head lightly. This was indeed a strange day.
"I don't really see how I can be of any assistance honestly," she remarked giving Gandalf a wary glance. The wizard wore a cheerful expression and completely ignored the hobbit's worried and questioning gaze. What was he up to?
"It's quite simple my dear," Gandalf remarked, "All you must do is accompany Radagast on his sleigh and the rest will work itself out. The dwarves are sure to follow after their burglar."
"Uh-"
"And this way, your injuries won't be jostled further," Gandalf gave her a knowing look.
"What-what if the dwarves don't follow?" She murmured, sucking a small breath, her shoulders sagging in defeat. "I'm not exactly a favorite member of this company..."
Gandalf smiled gently and nudged her towards the sleigh, "My dear hobbit, all is not how it appears to your eyes. Dwarves are a stubborn lot, it's true, but often their stubbornness is a ruse to hide their true feelings. Take heart. You're far more valuable than you realize."
Radagast was behind her now whistling softly at the rabbits tethered to the sleigh. Each animal jumped quickly to an alert position, waiting expectantly for Radagast's command. With another low whistled the rabbits darted forward through the underbrush. Lyla gripped the sleigh too late and nearly toppled off had it not been for Radagast's presence preventing such. Letting out a shriek at the speed they were travelling she was soon dizzy as bushes and trees blended into a multi-colored blur.
"Halfing!" she heard a cacophony of shouts echoing after her-anger, panic, and annoyance lacing the word-as Radagast's rabbits darted further and further from the dwarves.
"We-we can't lose them," she puffed out in a winded whisper, hiding her eyes from the rapidly moving landscape (it was making her nauseous).
Radagast laughed lightly, "Oh we shan't lose them. These are rosgobel rabbits. They're quite intelligent you know. Follow directions and whatnot. No. Gandalf thought it best to give the dwarves a bit of a...motivator...to encourage their cooperation."
"You mean they think I'm being kidnapped, yes?" Somehow she wasn't surprised
"Well, that's one way of putting it."
'Oh Gandalf' Lyla thought dourly, as her stomach lurched painfully as the sled suddenly twisted violently to the left, 'What a terrible trick!'
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ The trip ended quite abruptly, though the wizard urged the sled to weave left and right through (what Lyla assumed) trees and rocky terrain. Radagast pulled to a stop suddenly (so suddenly that Lyla nearly toppled over again) and gave another small chuckle.
"Alright, little earth-child, this is where I must leave you. Your companions will arrive shortly," he remarked cheerfully.
Lyla opened her eyes, expecting to see beautiful buildings and statuesque Elvish men and women gliding about. Instead, she was met with a dark tunnel.
"You aren't going to Rivendell?" She was confused. Hadn't Gandalf said-?
Radagast laughed somewhat uncomfortably, "No no. I-er-prefer the solitary life. Too much company for my liking. And I had best return to the forest before I'm missed there."
Lyla stared at him questioningly.
"Rivendell is just through that tunnel there. You'll follow it down towards an over look and pathway that leads to the heart of the Elrond's home.
Radagast, much like Gandalf, gently nudged Lyla forward (off the sled) and towards the tunnel. Stumbling forward, she eyed the tunnel warily.
"Couldn't you just-" she turned back towards Radagast but realized the wizard has disappeared, nearly silently back towards the forest. "Nevermind."
Sighing in resignation, Lyla turned once more towards the looming tunnel, neatly ensconced between two large rock faces, and debated on whether or not to enter the dark cavern on her own. The sooner she made it to Rivendell, the sooner she could assess the damage to her shoulder and torso. But, would the dwarves find her?
"Halfing!"
Well, it seemed they already had.
Lyla whipped around once more (still careful to not jostle her protesting body) and gazed in wonder (and amusement) as the dwarves lumbered towards her, weapons drawn, and fury written in their features. Gandalf trailed leisurely behind a small smile on his face and using his staff as a cane.
Dwalin and Bofur were the first to reach her, Bofur engulfing her into a tight hug (much to her surprise) and Dwalin peering at her carefully, his eyes narrowed and assessing.
"Did 'e hurt you? Are ye injured further?" Bofur's hands were roaming her shoulders and arms (carefully) gazing for signs of malicious handling.
"N-no I'm, ah, alright, just a bit shaken."
"I'd say so!" Kili exclaimed coming towards her, "Your shout startled all the birds from the area! We thought you'd been taken by orcs or something."
The heat returned to Lyla's ears and neck as she gazed at the ground while Kili only laughed and clapped her lightly on the back. It was embarrassing enough, being carted off by a decidedly odd wizard under the guise of kidnapping, but to have made such a noise in fright! Oh bother it all.
She chanced a glance back at Thorin, dreading the reaction she'd receive from him. His attention however was directed, not at the battered hobbit, but back towards the tall grey wizard, strolling calmly towards the company.
"What is the meaning of this!" he thundered, "You have our burglar kidnapped? And for what exactly?"
Gandalf chuckled, "I did no such thing. As you can see master Baggins is quite safe and sound. I do, however, suggest we move towards the tunnel before any more scouting parties come after us."
"Wizard!" Thoring rumbled, standing tall and proud, "My men and I are not stepping foot inside that tunnel. Not until you give us some answers."
"It's quite simple really," Gandalf murmured, completely unruffled, "That tunnel leads us towards safer paths where we may rest and tend to our wounded or did you forget, Thorin Oakenshield, that at least two of your company require attention?"
Thorin shot Lyla a deep scowl, obviously still blaming her for the resulting injuries, but sighed in defeat at Gandalf's logic. He was wise enough to concede that arguing with a wizard was a futile mission.
"Fine. Lead on then."
Gandalf replied with a deep hum of approval and walked past the exiled king and the rest of the company and into the dark passageway. Slowly, the rest of the company filed in after the wizard, one by one (because the pathway was too small) and carefully made their way through the darkened path. Lyla could make out a small blue light coming from the top of Gandalf's staff and relied on that to navigate as she marched slowly between Dwalin in front of her and Bofur behind, the latter dwarf's hands resting gently on the small hobbit's shoulders.
After a few short minutes, a light loomed ahead of the company, higher than even Gandalf's towering form and a collective murmur of relief whirled through the company as they slowly continued to move forward. As they got closer to what Lyla assumed was the exit point of the narrow passageway, her sensitive ears began to pick up soft snatches of birdsong and the soft rush of water flowing gently. A soft breeze blew past the company and Lyla inhaled the scents of tree blossoms and warm grass, her tense muscles beginning to relax at the familiar scents. A smile slowly crept on her face.
That smile, though, would be replaced by a gape of amazement and wonder as she stepped into the sunshine and gazed at the valley below her.
"Oh."
Carefully hidden away from the outside world, sat a beautifully situated settlement. Lyla scanned the area, noting the delicate architecture that blended with the natural backgrounds, vines creeping up pillars and flowering trees lining walkways. Water poured from the mountain faces and small streams wound throughout much of the settlement itself. Lyla closed her eyes in contentment at the sight.
"The Valley of Imladris," Gandalf remarked cheerfully, "In the common tongue it's known by another name..."
"Rivendell," she whispered, excitement and peace bubbling up inside of her. She'd always wanted to travel to Rivendell.
"This was your plan all along," Thorin growled and Lyla opened her eyes, noting the dwarf's furious glare focused on the wizard. "To seek refuge with our enemies!"
"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield," Gandalf sighed exasperatedly, "The only ill will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself!"
Lyla's widened in surprise at Gandalf's tone towards the dwarf king.
"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing?" Thorin contended, less furious this time, "They will try to stop us." He almost sounded pained.
"Of course they will," Gandalf replied as though her were talking to a small child, "But, we have questions that need to be answered."
He had a point and Thorin knew it.
"If we are to be successful," Gandalf eyed Thorin, "This must be handled with tack and respect. And no small degree of charm...which is why you will leave the talking to me."
And thus the company moved forward towards the heart of Rivendell, Lyla's eyes soaking in every color and tiny detail, her heart feeling more at ease than it had in many days. So caught up in the general splendor surrounding her that she nearly forgot about the radiating pain in her shoulder and torso. Almost. She gazed above her at the archways and the delicate engravings adorning each piece of architecture, admiring the beauty the Elves created.
So caught up in gazing at her surroundings was she that she was thrown off balance when Bofur grabbed her shirt roughly and shoved her into the center of the company, whose weapons were drawn. The pain, once nearly forgotten, came back in full force and sweat erupted on Lyla brow as she bit back a small groan. She was, however, able to distract herself as at least half a dozen elves clopped towards the band of dwarves, riding their large stallions. The beasts pranced around the smaller folk, with the elves (clad in armor) eyeing them warily. One elf, a dark haired fellow adorned with a burgundy breastplate, leapt from his horse and embraced Gandalf.
"Lord Elrond," the wizard greeted warmly.
The two exchanged pleasantries in Sindarin, the meaning lost on the entire company, including Lyla (though she noted how fluid and musical the language sounded in her ear). And then the elf turned his gaze on the dwarves huddled before him. Spotting Thorin he slowing walked forward.
"Welcome Thorin son of Thrain," he replied with an air of mutual respect.
Thorin narrowed his eyes, questioningly, "I do not believe we have met."
"You have your grandfather's bearing," Elrond replied, "I knew Thror when he ruled under the mountain."
"Indeed," Thorin almost sneered, "He made no mention of you."
"Nartho I noer, toltho I viruvor. Boe I annam vann a nethail vin," Elrond remarked gazing back towards Gandalf.
The dwarves, clearly offended at Elrond's 'unitelligable' speech started murmuring and bristling at the presence of the other elves around them.
"What does he say?! Does he offer us insult!" Gloing exclaimed pushing forward, axe in hand.
Gandalf chuckled, "No master Gloin, he's offering you food."
The company converged together whispering and casting suspicious glances towards Elrond and Gandalf. Lyla suspected they were not sure if they could trust the elves or not.
Gloin cleared his throat as they pulled apart. "Well, in that case, lead on."
Lyla would have chuckled if it wouldn't arouse suspicion that she was sympathetic towards a race that the dwarves clearly did not affiliate with.
As they followed after Gandalf and Elrond, Bofur's grip only tightened on Lyla's shoulder. On either side of her, too, stood dwarves, Fili and Kili flanking her sides and Dwalin and Gloin walking ahead of her. She was surrounded. It was rather...
Odd.
Especially considering that she wasn't a member of the company. Not really. Sure Bofur admitted to liking her. But most of the others didn't even bother to associate with her. More than likely due to her not truly being a dwarf. She was just an outsider in their eyes. She didn't really belong did she? At least that's what Thorin insinuated.
She was immensely grateful when Elrond offered rooms to the dwarves and Lyla and though most of the company refused separate from one another, she jumped at the chance for a few moments alone before their meal. It would give her ample chance to clean up and assess her injuries away from prying eyes.
Bofur started to protest her departure until Oin loudly proclaimed that the hatted dwarf still needed assessing. Tugging the miner towards himself, the elderly physician tutted and complained at irresponsible behavior. The two slowly worked their way through the crowded hallway into the large room Elrond had conceded to give the dwarves. Much of the company started to follow, sending wary glances between the elves waiting for Lyla and the hobbit herself. Perhaps they fancied she'd be carted off again?
"Oi but you need to take a gander at master Baggins. He's in worse shape than I!" Bofur proclaimed loudly, trying to scramble backwards towards the paling hobbit. She needed to sit down soon. She was getting dizzy.
"Master Baggins?" Oin questioned, shooting a glance her way, "Aye we'll take a peek at him once you've been sorted. Now off with ye." He lightly shoved Bofur forward.
In the chaos, however, Lyla was able to slip past Dori and Nori before anyone could reach her and hurried down the hall, the Elves trailing alongside her-shooting curious glances-but remaining silent. The anxious miner's voice slowly faded into the background and Lyla felt a pang of guilt and she hoped that Bofur would forgive her.
With a relieved sigh, she pushed into the room the two stalwart (and silent) elves pointed her too, giving her thanks to Elrond and their assistance. She was momentarily distracted by the muted beauty of the architecture. The light rose coloring on the walls matched the small blanket stretched on the bed. Cream colored pillows cool and inviting were perched on top of the blanket beckoning Lyla's tired body forward. At the moment sleep sounded far more appealing than food.
First, though, she needed to get cleaned up and spying a large basin with cool crisp water and linens waiting on the table in the far corner, her spirits rose.
Unfortunately, her pack had been lost on Myrtle so she had no clean clothing to change into but that wouldn't stop her from getting as clean as she could.
Wary of the door and unexpected visitors, she quickly glanced around before slowly removing Dwalin's cloak (filthy and bloodstained to her annoyance) and then her red jacket and green vest, hissing at the movements and panting for breath. She hazarded a glance at her shoulder where the warg tore through her clothing and into her flesh and nearly gagged at the sight. The fabric on her shoulder was caked in blood and sticking to her skin. She pulled down her suspender straps and, shuddering, slowly unbuttoned her shirt and as carefully as she could, removed her arms from the sleeves and dropped the clothing to the floor.
By now her breathing was coming in gasps and, with the decreased adrenaline, she felt every prickle of pain coursing through her body. Again she cringed as she observed her torso. The bindings around her chest were digging painfully into her skin that was turning a deep shade of purple. She needed to remove the bindings.
Carefully, she unwound the bandages and gave a shudder of relief as her lungs expanded and her breathing came easier. And for a moment she sank to the floor and reveled in the pure exhaustion and relief she felt at no longer having to hide. She never would have suspected that Gandalf's ruse would be so difficult.
A loud banging interrupted her thoughts and she gave out a startled squeak of surprise and scrambled to her feet with a groan darting to grab her things.
"Halfling open the door."
She didn't have time to put the bindings and shirt back on, so she hastily threw the cloak around her shoulders, grasping the edges to conceal her body and shuffled to the door as another loud pound erupted against the wood.
"Hobbit! Open up."
Taking a deep breath, she cracked the door open an small degree and peeked her head around the edge.
"Master Dwalin?" She questioned hesitantly as the hulking dwarf stared her down.
"Aye lassie. It's best if ye let me in before the rest of the company comes looking for you. We'd best have a chat aye?"
Lassie?
Oh no.