A Bargaining Chip

Dain's suspicions were aroused the moment he realized he could not locate the hobbit.

The creature had slipped away somewhere and the dwarf wondered if, perhaps, Master Baggins had slipped outside of the mountain.

His eyes narrowed as he gazed around the treasure room and regarded the dwarves that milled about.

But he could find no hint of the hobbit.

A frown tugged at his lips as he caught a glimpse of Thorin studying the wall of armor half buried in treasure and he wondered at how a creature such as a hobbit could have garnered so much affection and praise from the king under the mountain.

And his closest advisors too!

Dwalin and Balin and the others seemed so content to regard this...hobbit...with easy smiles and confidence in his character. But something was off.

Something about the hobbit and his behavior was odd.

It was most disconcerting.

And he was determined to find out just what this creature's motivations were.

*****

They tried to convince her to stay, though Lyla adamantly refused such an idea.

It was absurd.

Ridiculous.

And far too cowardly, no matter what anyone tried to convince her of.

"You would be most welcome here," Legolas remarked giving her a warm, but pitying smile. "You have certainly shown your honor and we are indebted to your services."

Despite their solicitous demeanor and genuine smiles directed her way, Lyla knew that it would be wrong.

"I can't. I have to go back," She murmured quietly, averting her eyes from the arkenstone. "They will wonder where I am. It is wrong not to return."

Gandalf seemed to understand her reason and gave her a kind smile. "This is one adventure I had not anticipated, Lyla Baggins," He remarked thoughtfully, "Many diversions have occurred and much has been gained and lost. Though," Gandalf paused and with a soft sigh, he rose to his feet, cradling his staff carefully in his right hand, "my dear, it would seem now, more than ever, that your presence here is fate. Your being here is like a small stone that starts an avalanche. Let us hope that some good will come from all of this."

The grey wizard bent closer to the hobbit, and gathered Lyla into his arms in a warm, grandfatherly embrace.

"Go now, my dear, may the power of elves and men watch over you" He whispered softly in her ear, "And look for our coming before the first rays of dawn's light."

Lyla nodded as the wizard pulled away from Gandalf and with a quick glance at Bard with the arkentstone, Lyla retreated from the tent before she could doubt her decision any further.

As she retreated back into the darkness of the outside world, however, someone followed after her.

"Mistress Baggins."

Lyla froze and turned slowly, surprised.

"You are a most curious creature," Thranduil murmured softly, eyes trained on Lyla, studying her carefully, "And love is certainly a harsh mistress if you feel the need to return. You know what awaits you there, do you not?"

Lyla nodded her head, swallowing back the emotions threatening to burst forth, "Yes. I know."

Thranduil's eyes narrowed, "And still you choose that fate. You choose his wrath when you could stay here and be well protected and far better cared for than you would be in that mountain."