The Power Play

Lyla's eyes stayed fixed on the tiny frightened faces, the large eyes filled with fear and pleading, begging her to help them. Her heart was twisting in knots as she was pulled out of their sight and back up the stairs.

She heard their soft whimpers and cries of anguish and terror as they were once again left alone.

A fury built up in her chest as she tried to maneuver from Braimand's grasp.

She didn't want to leave them.

They were helpless.

They didn't deserve this.

She dug her heels into the ground and twisted her torso trying to tear away from the annoyed guardsman's grasp.

Her arm was wrenched painfully for the effort.

"Come along then darling," The Master crooned mockingly, running a chubby finger along Lyla's cheek, "We best get the little pet back to her keepers, yes?" He chuckled, "Oh what a glorious reunion that shall be."

Lyla stopped walking, hissing at the man's advancements and jerked her face away, glaring up at The Master.

"Don't. Touch. Me." She snarled lowly, eyes narrowed and a furious scowl on her face.

The Master merely laughed in reply.

"Oh what spirit!" He chortled, the folds of his belly moving as laughter fell from his foul lips. He then nudged her, none too politely, up the staircase and back into the winding hallway, "My my. How interesting a creature you are. I wouldn't mind keeping you here while your dwarves went on ahead. There'd never be a dull moment! That's for certain."

Lyla's stomach dropped and nausea pummeled her senses.

He wasn't serious was he?

She gave him a hard look even as her heart hammered in her chest.

The man only leaned closer, his putrid breath wafting through Lyla's nose.

"I could keep you here, you know," He whispered mockingly, "No one could really stop me. And there's something about you, something powerful. I can feel it calling to me." He whispered lowly, making Lyla's stomach twist uncomfortably.

Lyla's heart hammered harder the blood pumping in her ears as The Master leaned closer, his lips barely ghosting her cheek.

She jerked away and spit in the man's face.

And she knew it was a mistake to do so as soon as it happened.

The Master's eyes darkened and a cold fury washed over his features as he wiped the spit from his cheek slowly.

His hand suddenly whipped around and caught Lyla's own cheek with a loud *SLAP*jerking the Hobbit's head back from the sheer force of the blow.

Bard let out a horrified gasp and Lyla's ears registered the signs of a struggle from behind her.

"Don't you touch her!" He thundered at The Master, grunting when something connecting with his abdomen.

The Master ignored Bard's admonishment.

"You are one pet that has a little too much spirit," He hissed in her ear, eyes narrowed a deep scowl on his face as he dug his fingernails into her upperarm, making Lyla wince.
Seemingly satisfied with that small display of weekness, The Master straightened his coat and admired himself for a moment before turning his attention back towards Lyla.

"Come along then, little creature," he shoved her again, her awkward footing making her stumble.

She heard Bard's angry growl.