Chapter 3: A New Start

Xavier's PoV

Ever since Monday, Charlotte and Cameron have been acting odd. When i say odd, i mean they haven't left their rooms and they usually don't do that. Most of the time they are outside or hanging with the younger siblings. The only time they do want to be alone is if they aren't feeling good but yesterday they seemed just fine. i've asked them if something was wrong and they told me everything is fine. of course, i don't believe them. so this afternoon i went up to their room to check on them again. i knocked on the door and got no response so i opened it myself and there they were. both of them were on their beds. Cameron was staring out the window, sitting in a criss crossed position. i went up the ladder to Charlotte's bed and she was sitting on her bed hugging her knees.

"Char...Cam....what's going on with you two?" i asked them but got no answer. This was starting to get annoying. "if you two don't tell me what's going on i'm going to have to get mom-" i was cut off by Charlotte grabbing my arm. i looked at her and she looked at me, a somewhat look of fear on her face. "n-no...." she said. Her voice sounded like she wanted to cry but was holding it back. She's always holding something back. She then pushed me gently out of the way and climbed down the ladder. She left the room. i climbed back down the ladder and looked at Cameron. "Hey. Cam."

He slowly looked at me. "Cam, what happened." i demanded. He needed to tell me. He just looked back out the window, not even wanting to talk to me. i sighed. it was probably best to leave them alone even though it's not what they need. i decided to leave the room and go to my own room. Not even a second later, there was a knock on my door and i opened it. "Emi? Why aren't you at work?" i asked, looking at her. Emiko didn't say anything, which was so weird, and handed me a note. She then left. i watched her leave and thought about how weird that was. i closed my door and opened the note. i read it and was shocked. "They...They really did that...?"

i wanted to confront Cameron and Charlotte about this but i knew this would make them panic. They don't like being confronted about bad actions they have done. i put the note on my desk and decided it would be best to not say anything about it.

A couple weeks later..

it was November 10th. 6 more days until the Twins' birthday. i actually can't believe they are almost 16. feels like just 2 years ago they were 13- which they were- but it's been almost 3 whole years since they escaped the lab. i had told Avery and Remi what i have planned for their birthday and they both seemed to like it. i just had to talk to Emiko but she was at work so i'd wait for her to get back. while waiting, i went to check on Charlotte and Cameron again. They were seeming to get better and were outside in the backyard playing with their cats. i smiled at them. i've done a lot to help make them happy ever since their escape. me and Emiko both have. i feel bad for them. i can't help it. i went through something much similar and Emiko and Avery were both at that same lab when they were little. it's weird how crazy people can be.

a little bit later, Cameron and Charlotte came inside with their cats. i went over to them and ruffled their hair. it was a pretty midnight blue that faded into a black. their hair wasn't always like that. they were born with just normal black hair, but due to some experiments it changed color. Cameron came over to me and said, "Hey, me and Char were thinking about going out to see Emiko. we know she's at work but-"

"Yeah of course." i said. the two of them needed to spend more time with their big sister anyways. Cameron smiled at me and ran back to Charlotte. The two of them grabbed matching backpacks and their cats jumped inside, then they both left the house.

November 16th.

i woke up to the sound of an alarm. i turned it off and got out of bed, getting ready for the big day. i headed downstairs and in the kitchen was Avery, Emiko, and to my surprise, Remi. Zero was in the living room with Rachel, but Charlotte and Cameron weren't anywhere to be seen. "Do you know where the Twins are?" i asked Emiko. She shook her head. "i only saw them when they were asleep at 5am but at 7am when i went to check on them again, they were gone." she said. That worried me. The two of them wouldn't leave anywhere without telling one of us. But, i decided to let it go. they are both strong kids, they'll be fine.

At around 12pm, Charlotte and Cameron had returned home. They were both holding plastic bags with something in it. They said they bought something for their birthday as a surprise for us...which was odd...and that they would be in their rooms. It's normal for the Twins to want privacy with each other, they aren't the social type. i went over to help Emiko and Remi set up more for their birthday party. By setting up, i mean more planning. A few hours went by and i heard a thud from upstairs. i walked up the stairs and heard a window close from the Twins' bedroom. i went in to see who it was but i didnt see them in time. i also saw that the Twins were not in their room. i heard a distant curse from the bathroom next to their room and sneaked over to it.

i heard water rushing and then it stopped. i quickly opened the door and saw Charlotte- but she didn't look like herself. Her hair was a different color....it looked like an off-white but still noticeable as a white color. A bit of her black roots were still showing as i saw in her hands that there was hair dye. She looked at me with an anxious look on her face, eyes wide. "C-Char...?" i asked, staring at her with my hand still on the handle. Charlotte suddenly looked like she was going to cry but was holding it back. i glanced at the other two bottles of hair dye and then back at her. She then hugged me tightly. i didn't mind the little bit of hair dye she got on my clothes. i hugged her back. i heard small sobs and comforted her the best i could.

"so...where is your brother then...?" i asked, her pulling away after letting it out. "H-He's getting more h-hair dye....w-we ran out after i d-did mine..." She stuttered, sniffling a bit from crying. i pat her head, somehow not getting any hair dye on my hand. Her and Cameron's hair dries really quickly, as fast as it grows too. "He'll be back shortly. The store he went to isn't far." She said. "Alright. Well do you want me to help you clean up here?" i asked, smiling. She smiled back and nodded. We cleaned up all the hair dye and waited for Cameron to get back. When he did, he froze, staring at me. "Ah shit- Char does he know-"

"Yeah he knows-"

i chuckled. We helped Cameron dye his hair while still leaving a bit of his roots showing as well. Charlotte and Cameron were happy with their new looks. i think it's a good new start for them. maybe they'll be a bit more happy with their lives. we all headed downstairs to the others and they all were shocked by the Twins' new appearances, but they didn't mind it. They were very supportive of it. "Now...let's get going!" Avery clasped her hands together and Charlotte and Cameron had confused looks on their faces. "Where are we going?" Charlotte asked.

"You'll see~" i smiled and we all headed out except for Remi. There 's a reason he doesn't leave the house but it's personal. We walked far away from our house and from the town. We soon arrived at what seemed like an abandoned theme park with rollercoasters, but everything seemed like it could still be used. Emiko ran over to a machine and kicked it with her foot, a bunch of coins falling out. She picked them up in a small bag she tied that bag up at the top. "Got the coins." she said and tossed the bag to me. "Wait...what is this place?" Cameron asked me. i looked at him and smiled. "A theme park me, Avery, and Emiko would always go to for fun. Mainly to distract ourselves from...certain things, but we thought you two might like it. Plus, Rachel and Zero haven't been here before either." i said.

The Twins followed Emiko over to a rollercoaster. There were a lot of rails that were in loops and they both seemed to like it. I went over to Zero and Rachel and brought them to another rollercoaster that was a little less crazy. Emiko observed us all as we had fun while taking pictures with her polaroid camera. To be honest, this was the most fun i have seen Cameron and Charlotte have ever since they escaped the lab. It's good to see them give a true smile. i just hope it can stay this way for a while.

sorry this one took a while. i got busy with a lot of things but i finished this nonetheless!
i hope you all enjoy this :)

Word Count: 1,636