-2-

"An emotional reaction means that a complex has been constellated. When a complex is activated we can't think straight and hardly know how we feel." -Daryl Sharp, Digesting Jung

In the heart of the city, there was an anxious young woman who held on tight to her messenger bag. She held it so tight that she could feel her laptop rigidly as it battled with her two bare hands. She walked to the bus station feeling like she was pulling bricks from her ankles. Those bricks clung hard onto her. Who would have thought that just a few hours before, she had been resting on the calm seaside just a couple of miles away from the city.

Her skin was sun kissed by the sunrays and she wore two braids on each side of her head which were slowly coming loose. Her name was Regina, she was only twenty-eight years old, but her body felt like that of an elderly with the pain of her worries.

"What am I going to do?" She had voiced her worry to her younger friend and assistant, Maddison. Maddison was petite, with an unassuming figure but a bright mind. She looked at Regina very deep in thought. They had been sitting in Maddison's office for thirty minutes, but there was nothing that came to mind.

"Well," Maddison wearily said. Regina could already hear the words her friend would be splurging out.

"No, that won't work." She immediately interrupted shaking her head. Maddison frowned.

"Come on Gi, you know that it's the only way. It's been five years now, and I mean, things have changed. There are applications, especially for people like you," She began to reason.

  Regina shook her head, and walked over to the other side of the room. She placed her bag on the floor and laid on the sofa, looking up at the ceiling.

"There is no way, I can't just date like that. What if...What if he's a creep and wants to sell my organs. You know how many women die in the hands of their online dates--no, I can't take the chance." She said, shaking her head, before looking over at Maddison, who was making her way over. 

"You watch too much true crime, definitely not healthy," Maddison said, shaking her head disapprovingly, and sitting down in front of the coffee table, right on the floor.

 Regina ignored her friend. Even if it was a lame excuse, she just couldn't think about dating as a solution to her problem.

A few minutes before, she had received a call from her Agent. They wanted her to start working on a romance drama. "They are in, and plenty of production companies are looking for romance scripts to take into the small screen, you haven't worked on something like that before. This can be a new challenge you can take on. It will be fun!!" 

The woman's excitement appalled her.

The new challenge would mean writing about something she had never experienced before. She was illiterate in the romance department. All her romantic rendezvous were failures that she had sworn to forget. Love was not meant for Regina Kendall and she knew it.

Maddison looked at her, her eyes full of pity.

 "I will do my best," said Regina before grabbing her bag from the floor and heading out of the office.

In the past, she had written two romance scripts. The first time she had done so, she was eighteen years old. It was a complete failure and everyone had made it known to her. So much so, that she had completely abandoned the script and she no longer knew where its remains lay. The second time was when she met her college crush. Later on, when the crush got a girlfriend, she again decided to abandon the script mainly out of sadness and lack of motivation. So far, she knew that a romance piece could never be penned by someone with such bad luck in love.

While Maddison's advice made her feel a bit hopeful; she also couldn't help but feel like there was no actual reason why she would place herself in the crossfire for such a stupid reason. No, it was just not worth it. Besides, she still had her other work. Her action and thriller scripts were a success. She was certain that neither would ever get old. The romance was overrated, other scriptwriters could take over those. She had bigger fish to fry.

After making herself feel a bit better, she finally got home. The lights were on, meaning that Roger was home. When she came in, she heard shuffling coming from the living room, which was odd coming from Roger.

"Hello Gi," Said the tall man with a crooked smile. Regina nodded, not bothering to greet him. They had met just a few days before; she hadn't been gone for so long, so she didn't understand his sudden excitement. 

Her eyes eventually noticed the man who was sitting on the love seat. He was good-looking, more so than Roger. His hair was a bit disheveled as if he had run his hands through it a bit too much. His jaw was defined and his eyes were deep and brown. There was a youthful look that he emitted, which Regina immediately attributed to his cheeks.

Unlike Roger, the man didn't smile much and instead looked at her in the most professional of ways. A lawyer? She asked herself.

The man was wearing a blue sweater even though it was still summer. His eyes seemed to examine her as well, which she didn't like. "This is my friend Dylan," Roger said, his hand pointing over to Dylan. 

  "Hi," Regina finally said without smiling. She was weary with men, it was hard not to, given her history. Even if they were handsome like the one sitting in her loveseat.

Dylan immediately cleared his throat and offered a short greeting. "Well, he will be the one who takes over my lease." Roger finally informed her. He was nervous. He shifted and rocked his heels back and forth like a little boy waiting for a response from Regina.

"Okay," Regina said before her eyes fell back on Dylan. "I have to interview you first. I hope you can understand, I can't just have anyone in my house." 

Dylan nodded and stood up, " I understand. What is it that you want to know?" 

Regina nodded. His voice was nice and rich and his eyes radiated a warmth that made her feel partly at ease yet nervous. It made her feel strange, but she was sure that it was probably only because he was handsome. Eventually, she would get used to him and she would feel nothing.