-21-

"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will" 

-Charlotte Bronte

 After shaking Dylan's hand and offering a light greeting, Valentina sat beside her mother. Her gaze kept being directed toward Dylan; who did not look at her much.

"Well," Said Mrs. Kendall with an awkward laugh. "Have you two gotten much done with the wedding preparations?"

Regina nodded, "We only have to worry about the dress now actually."

Mrs. Kendall nodded with a happy and relieved smile, "That's great!" She said. Her constant calling during her trip had paid off.

"Oh Mother," Valentina called with a smile, "You have not asked the important questions yet it seems."

Regina looked at her sister suspiciously. Valentina looked at her with an innocent smile. "What?!" she said, looking at Regina. "Don't look at me like that. We almost know nothing about Doctor Ren; I think it's important that we ask about his family atleast?"

Mr. Kendall nodded, innocently agreeing out of actual concern and interest, oblivious to his youngest daughter's bad intentions.

"Well, what would you like to know?" Regina asked. She had begun to feel a bit more tense. Her hands had begun to bawl into fist, trying to calm the anger that was rising up her throat. Dylan noticed, and quickly took her hand and covered it with his. He gave it a light squeeze, trying to reassure her.

"Well, I will start first." Valentina began.

"I believe that everyone wants to ask this question," She chuckled in a light and frivolous manner.

"How long have you two actually known each other? I mean, marriage often comes after some time of dating, aren't I right?" Her smile was wide and mocking as she looked at Regina and Dylan intently.

"Tell us you two; how long have you been hiding this amazing relationship from all of us."

Regina nodded. The visit was going terrible already, and her blood pressure was beginning to rise. A few seconds passed, as Regina glared at her sister. Dylan cleared his throat, getting ready to answer when Regina began to speak.

"Well," Regina said. "Dylan and I have actually not been in a relationship for that long."

"Perhaps, a year," She added, her eyes meeting Valentina. "We, though, have known each other for quite some time."

Valentina nodded, pretending to be interested in the lies that Regina was coming up with.

"Wow, just a year." Mrs. Kendall said. "When did you two decide to get engaged then?"

It was Dylan's turn to answer. "We actually were planning on taking it slow, but I got a little ahead of myself. I'm sorry about that." He said.

Mr. Kendall chuckled. "Don't worry; it happens. I'm just glad that our Gi found a dependable young man to take care of her."

"With all due respect Mr. Kendall, but I believe that Regina is a very dependable person. While she can bring so much joy to anyone's life, she also has been on her own for so long and has managed to do very well."

Mr. Kendall smiled. "I know; but one day when you become a father, you will understand my worries."

"I agree with him daddy," Valentina added, " Gi and I have been on our own for some time now. Besides, we are both successful. If we want to be protected, we can just hire bodyguards."

"Tina," Mrs. Kendall whispered with a look of warning.

"Yes," Mr. Kendall answered. "You can, but I want you both to be happy. I want you both to have a companion. Someone to love, and care for once I'm gone."

Regina nodded.

She knew what her father's greatest fear was.

"I understand dad," She said, finally ending the discussion that had ensued.

The rest of the afternoon had gone by much smoother. Dylan had only been interrogated a second time, before Valentina got bored and excused herself to head to a shoot she had scheduled.

That night Regina sat in the living room. The television was on, but she wasn't paying attention to it. Her mind was still on her father's words. In the past, her father had always confided in her. After her mother's death; he had not wanted to fall in love again, but he also needed help raising her and taking care of the hospital. The future Mrs. Kendall had appeared just in time; she had volunteered to take care of Regina for him and eventually love had healed Mr. Kendall's wounds.

Regina had no memory of her mother aside from some pictures on her father's desk, but Mrs. Kendall had made sure that she received all the attention she could get-- even after Valentina was born. In a way, Mrs. Kendall had been like her own mother, never making a distinction between the girls.

Mr. Kendall knew that Mrs. Kendall had both girls to help her through the pain when he was gone, but he was worried about the girls. They also needed someone to comfort and give them strength. His greatest fear was that they would hurt and have no one when he was no longer beside them.

"What are you daydreaming about?" Dylan asked, sitting beside her. He was carrying his medical book with him, and Regina couldn't help but find it a bit funny.

"What? What's so funny?" He asked.

Regina shook her head, "You're a very hardworking man. You're always carrying that around." She finally pointed it out.

Dylan looked at his book, and then over at her again. "My job is about change; You always have to update yourself. I got this book six months ago, so I have to read it."

Regina nodded.

"Hey," He said, looking at her a bit annoyed.

"What?" She asked.

"You didn't answer my question. What were you so busy thinking about?"

Regina sighed. "I was thinking about my dad. He's always been this really strong man, and now he seems so fragile."

Dylan nodded.

"I know that he wants us to be happy. He wants us to find someone who can be with us when he's gone...I just feel like I might be breaking his heart without realizing it."

Dylan sighed. 

"Parents are like that aren't they...but, there's as much as we can do for them." He finally said sitting beside her. He chose his words carefully, mostly because he had met Mr. Kendall and knew that despite it all, he was a good person. 

Regina knew what he was trying to say. It wasn't really her fault. She never intended to hurt her father, but he had also driven her toward a lie. It wasn't fair for him, but it also wasn't fair for her. 

Dylan didn't really understand the Kendall logic, but at the same time he couldn't help and think about his own parents. His father was perhaps the opposite of Mr. Kendall. He didn't understand Dylan and his dreams.

Mr. Ren was a man who relied on cold reasons. Dylan's dreams were not enough to carry him. There was no reason to chase after love at all.

"I think our parents are very different from each other then." Dylan commented.

"What do you mean?" Regina asked, looking at him.

Dylan shrugged. "Your dad just wants you to be happy; mine thinks that chasing after happiness isn't worth it."

Dylan's relationship with his father was rocky. Even after Dylan had done his best to get to a good university, and had finished his degree earlier than expected, his father was still not satisfied. There had been no sympathy given to him and no support. His father had not once said any words of encouragement to his son. Instead, he was critical of the situation. 

"Anyway," Dylan said, trying to get over the strange taste that had settled in his mouth, "have you made any progress on the script?"

Regina sighed, covering her face with her hands. "Don't even talk to me about that."