-8-

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost 

A week had passed. Dylan had been given a day off and it was time to go to Regina's parents place. Despite Regina's nervousness, Dylan seemed cool and collected. He had gotten home from running errands and changed into some casual clothes. Afterwards, he had sat down in the living room waiting for Regina to get ready. 

Meanwhile, Regina tried to find something to wear. She hadn't felt so nervous since her graduation day, and it was something that she wasn't expecting to feel given that none of it was real. After managing to get herself together mentally, she ended up finding something casual and heading downstairs.

The Kendall's place was nice and homely, they were greeted by one of the workers who immediately received Regina with a hug. "I'm so glad you have come to visit, please come in." Said the woman.

Dylan smiled at the woman, who Regina introduced as her nanny. A few seconds later, Regina's step-mother descended from the stairs. Her voice was excited and loud as she greeted them with a happy smile. She walked up to them and hugged each of them before leading them to the living room.

A man was sitting down on a grey loveseat reading a book. His face was haggard with the years, and there was a deep frown of concentration that settled itself in his lips. When he heard the steps approaching, he turned over and looked at them. His features turned bright when he saw Regina and he immediately stood up to go and hug her.

"I'm so glad you came," said the man, as he slowly let go. It had been a while since she had been able to visit, but she could see that he had lost some weight and seemed paler than the last time. Her father ignored her look of concern, and looked over at Dylan who stood beside her.

"You must be...Dylan, right? The fiance," he said the last part a bit more quietly, his index finger was on his lips as if he was thinking.

"Yes," Regina said. The man nodded.

"Nice to meet you then, I'm William, Regina's father," said the man, offering his hand for Dylan to shake. Dylan shook his hand firmly, which Mr. Kendall really liked. "Firm handshake, you must be a really decisive young man, I like that." Said Mr. Kendall with a soft chuckle.

"How have you been doing?" Regina couldn't help but ask. Her father gave her a look of subtle annoyance, and told her that he was better than ever. She knew it was hard to get him to talk about his health, but she couldn't help it. Eventually, Mr. Kendall turned the conversation toward Dylan. Their conversation came in naturally, and soon she turned her worries about her father to the back of her mind. Dylan and her father had gotten along better than she had thought. All her fears had been in vain. Dinner had gone well as well. Despite her preparations, her father only asked about Dylan's time abroad. They bonded over medicine and research articles that they had recently read about. By the time they knew it, it was ten at night and Regina was beginning to feel tired.

Dylan himself was beginning to feel the weight of the night. He had gotten used to waking up early and had slept very little the night before despite having a day off. By six in the morning, he had woken up. Most of the day he had been running errands.

He hid a yawn with the back of his hand and pretended to chuckle at a joke Mr. Kendall was saying.

"Dad," Regina finally said, "Dylan woke up early today, I think it's time we head home."

"Yes, of course, I must have gotten carried away," Said the man, he tried to stand, but sat back down. His features began to pale and Regina looked alarmed at Mrs. Kendall who immediately went over to help him.

"Are you okay darling," Said the woman. Dylan stood up and walked toward him. He squatted down beside him and checked his pulse.

"I'm fine," Said the man, "I just forgot to take my pills. Can you bring them darling, they're in the office."

Mrs. Kendall shook her head disapprovingly before beginning to scold him as she walked away, "I sent Ms. Turner to remind you, why didn't you..."The woman continued to scold her husband, despite being out of ear shot. 

It was a few moments later when she came back with a small white bottle and some water. Mr. Kendall took the medicine and after a few minutes began to look better. "All better," he said with a small smile.

"Dad, I think you should take better care of yourself. It's not okay for you to be feeling this sick. You looked really pale,"

Mr. Kendall nodded, " I know, but trust me, I'm well. I know I'll die, but it's not right now. Don't worry."

Regina shook her head, "Don't say that," 

 Her father had long been joking about his condition. Perhaps he did it to make them feel better, so that they wouldn't worry too much about him. However, it was hard for Regina not to worry. She didn't find those jokes funny, mainly when he wasn't doing well.

"Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded lately?" Dylan asked, looking at Mr. Kendall who was still looking at his medicine bottle.

"He has been complaining of headaches lately, but he has refused to go to the doctor."

"When was the last time you got a medical check-up?" Dylan asked.

Mrs. Kendall looked over at her husband, and then over at Dylan. "He hasn't gone in around six months,"

"You should make an appointment," He took out a card from his pocket and handed it over to Mrs. Kendall. "If there's ever anything you may need, don't hesitate to call me. I would make the appointment with his Doctor soon if I were you. It's important that he gets regular check-ups, more so if he hasn't been feeling well."

Mrs. Kendall nodded. After Mr. Kendall had gone to bed, she came back down to walk them outside. "Thank you so much for coming, he gets really happy when he sees you."

Regina nodded and looked back at the house, " I should've come to visit sooner."

Mrs. Kendall shook her head, "You know how your father is, he hates to worry you girls, so he doesn't let me tell you anything...I don't want you to feel bad. I should've called you sooner, but he's just so stubborn."

"Why hasn't he gone to a doctor?" Regina finally asked.

"He recently has been extremely stressed with the hospital and has been on really bad terms with Lawrence. He doesn't even want to step foot until the next board meeting," Regina shook her head.

The hospital was a recurring theme in the Kendall household, and it made Regina anxious to even think about the problems her father was most likely facing. "He needs to appoint someone to take his place soon; he should be enjoying and living carefree instead of worrying. " Regina said.

Mrs. Kendall nodded, "I've been telling him about that, but he doesn't listen."

"I'll call tomorrow to check on him, who knows, I might come and see him again. Even if he doesn't want me to, I'll still come."

Mrs. Kendall nodded.  

----

Thank you for reading!! Enjoying this story, comment and vote!! It really makes a difference.