Chapter 8

"You're girlfriend scares me." I whispered in a hushed tone as dad's newest girlfriend walked into the kitchen to get some more soda.

Dad snorted. "Why do you say that?"

"She keeps staring at me, it's weird. Her eyes are all wide eyed and her head is cocked to the side like she is examining me. It's the same look Velvet gets when staring at a dead body: intriguing, but highly disturbing (1)."

"How about you using a vanilla shake as dipping for French fries?" Dad said with his mouth full of popcorn.

James laughed, "You do that? Thank goodness I'm not the only one." He slapped my shoulder in a friendly way. I reached over to give him a high five, before putting back on a serious face.

"Really," I have dad a pointed glare, "really? Do you want to tell the whole world that?"

"I'm just saying you're dipping is just as weird as Luna's staring." Dad defended, holding his hands up.

"No, it is not!" I protested. "Food and people are completely different. I can live with both, and throw out only one of them."

"You can throw out food?" James asked stupidly. I blinked several times, silent for maybe about a minute.

"No, I'm saying you can throw out people." I deadpanned. "Of course you can throw out food!"

James seemed to comprehend what he said moments earlier before proceeding to turn into the shade of a tomato. "You know what? Ignore that."

(1) Skyrim quote!