A little bit of evidence

SHOUTOUT to @Katie_bearrr and @gabby993 !!! Thanks for voting! I voted for all your chapters, you're awesome writers.

Sorry for the wait.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

We reach my mom by phone an hour after we reported the runaway to the police. She rushes in the department and hugs us both very tightly and transports us back to the office, without a word, so that we can see if there's anything left to investigate. I decide to save most of the newest news from the case until later, because she seems so distressed, and because I don't have the heart to talk about it all right now.

The office looks as empty of evidence as when we left. The papers and piles of stuff strewn all over the desk and books left unorganized on Cylas's shelf. A stethoscope on the white table with a clipboard and more paper.

I'm very mentally discombobulated at this point, my brain a glob of jelly. I haven't even had the will to cry. I'm broken. I'm back to relying on no one, except my boyfriend.

We put our trust in Jacob, telling him our suspicions and thoughts on the case. He lied to us...or did he? The last moment before they both sped away, was in the office, where Cylas and Jacob exchanged odd looks. I'm almost certain now they could have even communicated because they were behind us as Chris and I shuffled out. It all happened so quick after that. I remember placing my keys on the table to the right...how dumb could I be? I stand in the place Jacob stood right next to the door. I notice a tiny scrap of paper lying on the white table I hadn't notice before.

"Chris come look at this," I wave his over.
Chris picks up the paper immediately and reads it.

"He knows." It says in scraggly letters.

Now this could be from anyone to anyone. But Chris and I immediately assume the obvious.

"You think Jacob wrote that?" I ask.
"That's what I'm thinking...Maybe warning us that Cylas knows we've identified the kidnapper?" He suggests. That's a possibility ... But why would he have left with him?

"When would he have been able to write it? Did he know the whole time? Or maybe he wasn't sure." I speak my mind and start pacing when I hear Chris' phone vibrate.
He doesn't answer it, because I still hear it vibrating.

"Are you gonna..." I look up to see Chris shifting through the piles of papers again, then he opens the desk drawer and pulls out a phone.
"It's Cylas's." He states.
The phone stops vibrating and he picks it up.
"There's a voice mail from...Darius' number."

-
-
-

Luv Always
-NiiBii