Phone calls

After leaving the hospital, my headaches went away by the end of the week. I've stayed in bed for a few days though, because the medicine has made me extremely drowsy.

My phone buzzes.

"Hello?"
"Omgee Chemaraie!"
"Naomi?"
"Of course, who else. So like, guess what."
"What."
"Guess!" She insists.
"You met Harry Styles and he's decided to marry me?" I screech excitedly.
"Um, yeah and Crawford is taking me and his friend to Splashers on summer break!"
"Are you serious? I love you!"
"What?"
"You got Harry for me!" I know she's kidding, but wouldn't it be great?
"Chemaraie. You know I was kidding."
I pretend to be hurt. "how could you get my hopes up like that? Anyways, where did you say you were going?"
"It's a water/amusement park a few hours or something away."
"No offense but the name Splashers sounds lame by itself."
"Chemaraie it's huge! Plus, since it's really expensive I doubt it's lame."
"Ok, whatever. I'm going back to sleep"
The other end is only briefly silent.
"Well. Do you want to come?" I think I hear her say.
"What?"
"With Chris, of course, so it would be like, an awesome double date...Plus Crawford's friend."
"And who's going to pay for it?"
"You know the Collins' are rich and crap." I knew she was rolling her eyes.
I did know the family had money. Their house is so exquisitely decorated, I can't believe it's in the same neighborhood as mine.
"Well, I'll ask Chris. And my mother. You know how she is..."
"Ok!" Naomi giggles. "Crawford stop!" The line goes dead.

My mom came in my room on cue.
"Who was that?" She asks.
"It was Naomi. She asked if I could go with her and her boyfriend and others to a water park when school ends." I braced myself for a huge no, but it never came.
My mom plops onto my bed. "Chemaraie. You are almost 18."
"Yeah..." I don't know where this is going exactly.
"I've always been afraid of you growing up. I didn't want you to make the same mistakes I made when I was younger and I've always tried to protect you... And your sister. I kind of failed with Cheyanne after your father...left us. And she just went on rebelling on her own." I've put my the thought of my father in such a far corner in my mind, that the fact that he just left my mom all of a sudden 5 years ago doesn't phase me anymore. I honestly, somehow, have forgiven him—it helped to get the whole situation out of my head.
"Cheyanne was too old to help by the time I tried to help her. I didn't want you to end up being a grown up before I was ready. After you go, I'll be alone. I've thought about that a lot."
"Mom..."
"And I know that I can't keep you from having fun and doing what you want now that you are older. I want you to enjoy your life but.. But just don't ruin it. Ok, honey?"
"Yes mom."
"I love you."
"I love you too, mom." I smiled and gave her a hug.
"So is it a yes for the trip?" I ask.
She sighs. "Yes."
"And..Chris is my boyfriend and like we have been dating for months now." I admit.
"Yeah, I figured that. Just let me know next time."
Every time I tried to let her know I had a boyfriend, I would get lectured at, but since she is in a good mood...
"Ok. Thanks." I grin.

She smiles and walks out of the room.