Its a Small World

When we get to my sisters apartment complex, we walk up the steps to the second floor. Room 41. I jiggle the doorknob. Locked.
"Do you have your key?" Chris asks.
"Yeah," I take a minute to find it in the inner most parts of my purse. I fit it in the key hole; the door creaks as it swings ajar.

"Mom?" I call. I don't hear anything.
I walk around the stained couch as Chris and I search the living room. The whole living area is unoccupied, so is the bathroom. "Maybe she fell asleep," Chris shrugs. That's a possibility. "I just hope she's safe."
I feel a small chill snake it's way down my back. I don't want to imagine what could have happened to her, but I can't stop the thoughts. What if someone got to her? To...get back at Chris for telling the police? We walk further down, and end up in front of my sisters bedroom. After a second to inhale, I force the door open and find myself facing an empty master bed, but a few steps away, the balcony door stood open. It's a very small area with about enough space to occupy two people, two chairs, and a dinner set plastic wooden table, all which I see at the moment in front of me. Two people opposite of each other, having a casual dinner, and if this was one of my mother's regular dates, I would smile politely, quietly back up, and leave. But this isn't an ordinary date, because her counterpart for the evening happened to be Darius Brown.

My mom catches me staring. "Chemaraie! I didn't even hear you come in." She stands up. "I wanted to introduce you--" Her sentence is abruptly cut off by a gun to her head. "D-darius?" Her voice cracks.

"Oh how perfect you're here!" He snarls.

Chris stands in front of me. "Don't touch her."

Darius' gun explodes and Chris slinks to the ground.

"What did you do?" I scream and fling myself at Darius, but he throws me over with the hand he held my mother back with. She bolts for the door but another figure materializes at it and grabs her, and drags her out.

I want to aggressively tear Darius limb from limb but before I can do anything, a cloth is forces around my mouth and I fall out, my last thoughts about Chris who I see looking lifeless on the ground.