15 | Caught

━━━━━━━━━━

I'd noticed him before

I'd noticed him before. He would always stand next to the reception counter in the afternoon on purpose when Nurse Bucket and Nurse Ratched weren't around to supervise the young nurses. With the hint of a smile on his lips, he would always then watch them at the counter chatting and when they caught him staring, he would just give a little nod, then pretended to be suddenly very busy causing the nurses to exchange a grin and giggle quietly behind the counter. From time to time he would walk up to them to start a conversation, the keys of his key ring bouncing with every step and although he always stood very close and touched their arms during chatting a bit too often in my opinion the nurses didn't seem to mind as long as the head nurses wouldn't catch them talking to him. They seemed to enjoy the man's company and even made attempts to flirt with him. Admittedly Mr. Eaton was a quite handsome young man but still the fact that he, a doctor's assistant, was allegedly married made the whole situation quite awkward.

I'd noticed he'd been watching me too. He'd often greet me in the afternoon as I passed the lobby, his gaze occasionally fixed on my hips as I walked past him.

His rather intrusive actions and clingy behavior towards women had told me over time he was probably a bit desperate to interact with woman, maybe even easy for a woman to wrap around her finger but of course, I hadn't paid too much attention to the doctor's assistant at first. But now after this whole journey of ups and downs with Nurse Ratched, I'd noticed how broken and lonely I'd become. This feeling of constant sadness wouldn't ease - it would only get worse and worse day after day and I sensed at some point it would be unbearable. I was terrified I could never get out of this painful cycle.

My next step was neither prudent at all nor had my old self ever dared to do anything like that but at this point I hadn't cast doubt about it, pushing sanity and reason to the back of my mind. What did I have to lose after all? Nothing.

But I had this insane idea in my head, which could at least help me try to get out of this place.

***

A simple pretext was all it had taken to separate Mr. Eaton from the nurses in the afternoon. My heart was beating with inhuman speed as I walked down the dark corridor, the young man following me, completely unaware of what I'd actually in mind until I stopped abruptly and turned around to face him.

„So, where is Nurse Bucket?", the doctor's assistant slowly asked, frowning slightly as we both just stood in the dark halls, no one else around.

„Actually...", I whispered and moved closer to him, trying to suppress my actual nervousness „I wanted to speak to you...Alone..." Slowly I placed my hand on his shoulder, then my fingers wandered down to the buttons of his blue uniform. My gaze fell to the keyring attached to his belt, then as he didn't say anything but stood there completely froze I moved my face closer to his but that was when he suddenly seemed to realize what was going on.