Chapter 16 [✔]

They started only a week after Draco had found Hermione and me in the Astronomy tower.

The letters I mean.

Each of the letters is different, with a different reason aside from the true reason that Draco wanted them to be sent to Hermione and me.

One of those absurd reasons was Hermione using a love potion to convince Viktor Krum to take her to the Yule Ball regardless of love potions being off-limits here at Hogwarts, love potions- for merlin's sake couldn't they have come up with something a little more believable?

I mean Hermione wouldn't go far enough to make a love potion much less give it to someone who she doesn't even actually like.

But, that cow Rita Skeeter will do anything for a front-page news article.

The letters contained a different poison or moveable hex, boils-horns-hair growth-unnecessary bone growth.

I have visited Madam Pomfrey around a dozen times just in the last week, but I have recently learned my lesson to not open any letters that I didn't know where they came from regardless of my stupid curiosity.

Hermione has received the worst of it.

Howlers yelled that she was a hag and didn't deserve Krum's affection or attention.

They said that she was messing around with more than one guy at a time and that she was putting them all in a trance due to the fact that she couldn't grab a guy because she was too uptight.

But they started slowing down within two weeks.

The truth of Draco and I breaking up was spreading like a wildfire- he had told everyone that he found me displeasing and annoying and that I had found him uptight and egotistical and the break up had been a mutual one.

"For the sake of our lives," he'd remind me anytime that we were alone in the same room for more than a minute.

"Y/N we need to just tell everyone, they're going to find out soon enough," Hermione says to me one afternoon in Double Advanced Potions.

We were hidden behind the cupboard working on our review for a Calming Draught, the chaos of everyone talking about their potions and the gurgle and bubbles popping hid our quiet voices.

"'Mione, it's only been three weeks since Draco and I broke up, I told you five weeks after the second task we will tell everyone alright," I growl under my breath feeling exasperated because this is like the thousandth time that Hermione and I have had this conversation.

It wasn't that I didn't want to tell everyone, I did.

It was just the reaction from people as well as my father that I am terrified of, it would put a target on both Hermione and me if we just came out and said that we were dating.

People would be cruel and unrelenting to us torturing the very being of Hermione and me.

Some, of course, would support us but most would be hidden in the shadows of their supremacy parents who believe that only a man and a woman deserve to be together rather than whoever someone loves.

"You're scared aren't you?" She asks me, cutting up the beans and tossing them neatly into our cauldron.

"About what?"

She had taken such a long pause before saying this that I had forgotten that we were on the same topic.

"About telling people," She says.

"I-yes Hermione, I am scared, do you know what might happen?"

"I've already considered all of the options Y/N, so yeah of course I know and I am also scared," She pauses and looks up from our cauldron.

"But they all sound better than keeping our relationship a secret forever."

"I never said that it'd be forever-," I sigh.

"But you're insinuating it," she points her finger at me.

"No, I'm not."

"Yeah, you are."

"I only want to wait."

"Because you don't think that it'll be worth it."

"Stop Hermione."

"No. I want to tell people."

"Just drop it!" I shout dropping my knife.

The people around us turn and look between Hermione and me.

Feeling my face heat up I raise my hand and ask to go to the bathroom.

"What step are you on Yaxley?" Professor Snape says looking at me through his heavy-lidded eyes.

"I'm on step 7 I'm waiting for it to finish stewing, I have around 45 minutes left," I say my voice shaking from the pressure of everyone looking at me.

"Well then, hurry up," he grudgingly allows me.

I wipe my hands on my towel and exit the room hurrying down the dungeon halls to the bathroom.

Locking myself inside of a stall I put my head in my hands.

I let out a bloodcurdling scream and release all of my emotions at once.

Once I finish I breathe in deeply and stand up.

"That was quite a scream..." I hear a moping voice say beside me.

I turn my head to see Moaning Myrtle peering at me from above my stall.

"What's the matter?" She asks me.

"What? You're asking me?" I say skeptically.

"Yes. Is it the egg? That one that all of the 'champions' got for a task?" She asks me twirling her pigtails.

The egg!

I had completely forgotten about the egg!

I have no idea where to even start, but perhaps Myrtle does...

"Yes, how'd you know?" I reply coolly.

"Well sounds of despair draw me nearer and that's the only thing I could think of you being able to be sad about," she says condescendingly.

I look away to roll my eyes and open the stall door.

"Well, I need to figure it out soon because I have no idea where to begin," I say sighing.

"...I may be able to help you...for a price," she says to me.

"A price?"

What could a dead person want?

Life?

I can't help her there.

No...Y/N that's cruel don't be like that...

"Yes..."

"What do you want Myrtle?" I ask her curiously.

"If I tell you how to unlock the secrets of the egg you must tell me the deepest, darkest secret that you have hidden within your annoyingly alive body..." she says casually.

"My deepest darkest secret..." I repeat breathlessly.

Was this task really so important to risk telling a ghost, someone who had nothing else to lose, my worst, most terrible secret?

I weigh the options in my mind and come to a conclusion.

"Alright Myrtle, I'll play your game."

With those words, she grins at me evilly and claps her hands indignantly.

Word Count: 1183

A/N: Hellooooo!!! Thank all of you so much for almost 400 reads I really appreciate it.
I just wanted to let all of you know that my DMS are open for you to send me something because...I know that some of you are going through a hard time and I want to be there for all of you and you can message me any time and if you don't want to message me there then I can do you my number so that we can talk on my cell so that you can have someone to tell all of you problems.
The reason why I want to let you all know that is because I recently had a friend go through a ton of stuff that just piled on to her and she was having a really hard time and felt like she had no one to talk to so YEAH I'm here ☺️