Garden Lights - Chapter 18

If she could, she would ignore every aspect of him that came in contact with her. She would, and only this one, admit that she was, as her sister (and even Victor) used to say, an idiot.

 That man invaded her peace, and he didn’t even know it.

She would feign forgetfulness when he approached two days after she had “agreed” to date him. She looked away when she saw Bobby come her way. She pretended she didn’t see him and put her earphones in her eardrums, walking home and whistling at the same time. He was calling her name multiple times but she pretended to be listening to a song in full volume, when in fact she wasn’t.

He called her again. She was sweating.

She quickly played a soundtrack on her phone to make it easier to actually not be able hear him. On the other hand, she wasn’t aware that he walked fast over to her and grabbed her by the shoulder.

“Vivian!”

Her earphones plucked out of her ears. The music boomed in from them.

“Vivian, listen about our date….”

“Our date? What are you talking about?”

She initiated plan B.

“Our date. You know the one you agreed to.”

“I don’t recall.”

“It was after I kissed you on the neck.” He placed a warm finger on the spot where his lips so intimately touched. She flinched away, touching it and heating up.

“T-that was totally unnecessary to do, you know!?”

“Nope, it was necessary. And I think you remember now?” He smirked.

She looked at her phone, pretending to be uninterested. “About what again?”

He grabbed her phone and lifted it up, out of her reach. “Stop acting like you can’t remember. Anyways, it’s about the details of our date.”

She jumped up. “Give my phone back first!”

“Will you please listen then?”

“Yes, I will!”

“Okay, here you go.”

She clutched her phone to her chest like it was her baby and secured it safely in the arms of her pocket.

“So where are we going?”

He held up two tickets in response to her question.

“Tickets? Are we going to watch a movie?”

He shook his head.

“Amusement park?”

He shook his again.

She paused for a minute. “A dolphin show?”

“That would be a great place for a date, and to get you wet if I can manage to get front row seats.”

“What?”’

He laughed at her reaction. “Sorry, sorry! I didn’t mean it. Well, I did. But we aren’t going to any of those places. We are going on a cruise!”

She didn’t expect that coming. “What cruise? What are you talking about?” She snatched the tickets from his hands and examined them at a closer range in her hands.

 “Captain Erin Rollick is a captain of this ship called “Kelly”, named after his mother. I think you must’ve seen him. He came on TV once for an interview.”