Garden Lights - Chapter 19

“I’m coming! I’m coming!”

Again, the doorbell rung.

Grumblingly, the oldest daughter of the house opened the door and looked disgusted at what stood by her in the fading darkness of the night.

Brown hair that was smooth to touch, and the scent of manly cologne, while in a crisply new tux with a green tie, he looked mature and manly.

“Hello, Fe-!”

The door slammed on the boy’s face.

Fern was about to leave until the bell rung again.

She opened and saw him still standing, still (forcefully) smiling. He looked a boy waiting for his prom date.

“Sorry, wrong house.”

She was going to slam it shut again if his foot did not interfere, creating a blockage between the door.

“Could you please stop that?” The irritation in his voice was clear.

Fern snarled. “What do you want, stalker?” She glared her infamous “Go die!” stare.

“It’s nice to see you too, Fern. Where’s Vivian?”

“Don’t know. She left with some friend.”

“Mind if I come in?”

“No, I don’t want any guests in my house today.”

He sighed. Bobby ran a hand through his hair, not sure how to pass this troll to cross.

He used to be scared of her, making sure to never raise her temper. But that fear was gone a long time ago. What he did was between him and Vivian.

“I’m here to take her on a fate, if she told you.”

“Of course you are, you stalker.”

“I’m not a stalker. I’m just a guy in love.”

“If you’re in love, then go find another girl to hurt.”

“I didn’t mean to hurt her. I was hurt too, by the way.”

She gave a cold laugh. “And you obviously think I’ll sympathize with you? Get real, or better yet, get lost! I have someone coming over.”

“I know it’s Gracie, so I’ll stand my ground.”

“Then I’ll get a drill.”

“And go to jail for that.”

“Piss off, brat!” She grabbed him by the collar and was about to punch him if someone hadn’t interjected in.

“Such noisy people.”

They looked at the fence to that female human-version of Cheshire hanging onto the fence.

“Gracie, get off,” Fern grunted. “You’ll break it.”

“Fernie is forever a killjoy!” she chanted.

She raised a fist in the air. “Don’t make me come over there!”

Gracie was intimidated by her behavior. She stared at her more amusingly. But she got off of the fence either way. She went to them, taking her time examining the boy who was staring back at her.

“Oh my, aren’t you handsome?” She placed a palm on her cheek and tilted her face.

He nervously looked down, rubbing the back of his neck, smiling with scarlet cheeks. “Thank you.”

“You’re the type of guy who runs after girls and breaks their little hearts and still has the shame to show their faces to them, aren’t you. Aren’t you a scum?” She giggled a school girls’ giggle, but anyone can tell she did not mean it as a joke.